A very silly question about attribute transfer.

4877   5   1
101 posts
After years of flerting with Houdini, i finally decided to learn for real.
Cause now we have too much more vids and plenty of free and good material arround for get into houdini.

About atribute transfer i am trying as much as possive to understand its power.

But i still didnt get WHAT can i transfer:

is just basic color, position, scale or can i transfer all?

can i tranfer for example fire from one object to another, or dynamics properties? anything can be transfered?

Sorry if it sounds too ridiculous
7726 posts
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/model/attributes [sidefx.com]
696 posts
The name says is all: Attribute transfer is meant to transfer attributes.
When you middle click a node, you'll see a popup with some info on that node, includding all the point, vertex, primitive and detail attributes (things like Cd, v, N, uv, etc).
Those attributes, including the ones you create yourself or as a result of a simulation are the things you can transfer.
Fire, for instance, is not an attribute. It's a volume representation of an algorithm that simulates the behavior of fire. It relies on attributes that describe how the simulation should evolve, like velocity (v) or fuel. The fire itself can't be transferred as it's not an attribute, but the attributes it relies on can be transferred or manipulated in any way you see fit.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
101 posts
rafaels
The name says is all: Attribute transfer is meant to transfer attributes.
When you middle click a node, you'll see a popup with some info on that node, includding all the point, vertex, primitive and detail attributes (things like Cd, v, N, uv, etc).
Those attributes, including the ones you create yourself or as a result of a simulation are the things you can transfer.
Fire, for instance, is not an attribute. It's a volume representation of an algorithm that simulates the behavior of fire. It relies on attributes that describe how the simulation should evolve, like velocity (v) or fuel. The fire itself can't be transferred as it's not an attribute, but the attributes it relies on can be transferred or manipulated in any way you see fit.

Cheers

Hey Rafaels, really thanks for clarify that to me, now makes so much more
sense!

Its hard to get all this things at first, since me, and i believe a lot of
people are used to extrude polygons, paint textures, animate with keyframes, so enter in the houdini world its a very different beast!

Feliz que vc é brasileiro! Curti muito seu blog!
101 posts
edward
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.5/model/attributes [sidefx.com]

And thanx eduard for point me that…

i already that before, but how i said before, its hard to grasp into the houdini world…
696 posts
No worries, man! Keep asking, it's a long and winding road but you'll get there!

Cheers

PS: Eu tbm fico feliz de ver mais brasileiros na area, fe na tabua e pe na estrada!
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links