Choosing a graphics card

3242   12   1
2 posts
Hi, I have decided to build a new PC, but I do not know what graphics card I should choose. I want to be able to use GPU acceleration to run simulations, and Houdini system requirements says that the newer GTX 600 and 700 series will not work because they do not support OpenCL. Besides 3d I do a lot of video/photo editing.

My budget allows about $1000, but components are a bit more expensive in EU.

I have considered:
GTX Titan, Quadro K4000

All help is appreciated
Staff
5158 posts
It looks like the system requirements are a bit out of date. The 600 and 700 series do support OpenCL. However, for compute, the Titan will be much better than the Quadro K4000. Not only is it more powerful in terms of shader power, but its 6GB of memory will help it run large sims. It will also run well in the viewport. The only catch is that the Titan isn't officially supported for workstation use by Nvidia (I'm not sure what the target market is for that card).
1391 posts
Yes ,I had too many research about VGA and I think Titan is a really good choice :shock:

But if your budget is lower than Titan ,then you can buy any GTX series .

But must important note is never buy ATI graphics card ,Just take look around Houdini's forums ,you can see too many people has problem with ATI !!!
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
2 posts
Thanks for your help!

I think I will go with the Titan then
4189 posts
Joker386
But must important note is never buy ATI graphics card ,Just take look around Houdini's forums ,you can see too many people has problem with ATI !!!

ATI are fine.

Things move forward and past forum posts are not so relevant AFAIK. The optimisations that went into H13 was a major leap, and, the almost total lack of recent “my viewport sux” posts on the forums would indicate much success for both ATI and Nvidia. Twod is killing it!
1391 posts
:wink:
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
45 posts
Joker386
….many people has problem with ATI !!!

Yes, some problems were in h12, but h13 is correctly works with ATI cards. Moreover on ATI much faster are moved polygons in viewport than Nvidia (game cards). I don't know why, probably it only I have, but it impossible. :shock: I think the case in politics these companies. :roll:
228 posts
I can confirm that ATI cards still do not display geometry nearly as well as NVidia cards in Houdini 13. I run NVidia at work and ATI at home and it's really noticeable how buggy the display is at home.
www.kmcnamara.com
4189 posts
KMcNamara
I can confirm that ATI cards still do not display geometry nearly as well as NVidia cards in Houdini 13. I run NVidia at work and ATI at home and it's really noticeable how buggy the display is at home.

Which bugs can you confirm in ATI please? thanks!
1391 posts
KMcNamara

Yes ,Exactly ,I working with both for too many years (something about 10) ,But I had always Strange problems with ATI ,Also all my friends had some other problems too !!! (Also I Working with both right now !!!)

Of course I had problems with nvidia too ,But not too much !

I don't take money from nvidia or I don't want to advertising for it ,this is just my experience .

If you like ATI and wanna use it ,So use it ,If not ,Don't use it ,We are free
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
45 posts
Joker386
KMcNamara

Yes ,Exactly ,I working with both for too many years (something about 10) ,But I had always Strange problems with ATI ,Also all my friends had some other problems too !!! (Also I Working with both right now !!!)
……..

Ok, you have some problems with ATI, but not answered, what problems do you have? What series video cards? If you working with ATI right now, could you do screenshots with bugs? :wink:
1391 posts
I said before this is just some of the my experiences, Also I said we are free to choice ,So please don't worry about that !

I believe that both one has some problem ,But in my experiences nVidia has a fewer problem !

I have 2 PC :
First one has GTX 570
Second one has GTX 640

Also I have another PC's in my office with ATI HD77XX

I using Win7 and Linux Mint on all system.

Unfortunately I had too many problems with ATI ,Some of them solved and some other never solved ,Like this :

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=30427&highlight=VGA [sidefx.com]

(Do you Have Any Idea !?)

In the above Topic ,I using Houdini in the Linux Mint 15 with same version ,But I have this problem only on ATI ,Also when I use sticky note in the networks with too many text ,my network move slowly ! (Of course I updated drivers)

sometimes Houdini crash immediately without any chance of save !

sometimes Menu's Text broken in the dual monitor.
unfortunately I can't remember all problems right now.

Maybe I wrong ,Maybe Only I just have these problems !
However ,I just exchanged my experiences ,you can take a look around NET and other people to right answer :wink:
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
Staff
5158 posts
The other problem with AMD cards right now, hopefully temporary, is that the bitcoin mining craze has driven up the price of the high-end cards to seriously inflated prices. Nvidia cards aren't affected, as they (fortunately?) are not as good at compute for this task.
  • Quick Links