Graph editor changed? or not working?

9306   14   3
53 posts
using apprentice H 7.0.172

ive never had this problem until this version. for some reason i dont have any animation data showing up in the graph editor. is there something changed that i need to do ? is it broken? or?

i can key items, and see animation in viewport, but when i want to go into the graph editor to change the curve type from linear to whatever else, so i can then go in and edit, i cant because the curves are not there.
-m-k-
2199 posts
I think I remember something similar try a later version it's fixed.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
53 posts
er i mean its version 7.0.192. which is the newest there is. still seems broken.

maybe i just need to reinstall houdini. i remember having problems especially with version 7 betas where if i uninstalled houdini and installed a new one… the new one would be broken all over the place, and give lots of errors.

so my question now is, how do i COMPLETELy remove houdini.

this is what ive done until now.

1. press the uninstall button.
2. kill the hserver, and sesinetd processes.

3. go into the windows/system32 dir and delete both files.
( because if i didnt delete them, the new version would never work for me )

4. reboot

5. install new version of houdini.

this would pretty much make sure that houdini worked, but it seems something is still off. maybe i missed some files i should have deleted somewhere?
-m-k-
2199 posts
Sorry, I guess because you are talkin Apprentice, full release is up to H7.0.221.
Hopefully Sesi will post a newer Apprentice soon.

Sounds like your method of uninstall is pretty thorough… can't think of anything you've missed.

You could try different Graphics card drivers, oddly with Houdini having the lastest drivers isn't always the answer, it's a question of finding the “right” drivers.

What's your graphics card operating system etc?
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
53 posts
laptop
winxp pro
p4 3ghz
1gb ram
geforce fx 5600
plenty of hd space

its a fairly solid laptop. anyway its odd because in older versions, the graph editor worked. ( its just that in previous versions houdini wasnt as stable, as it seems to be now ).

drivers are 53.04
-m-k-
7025 posts
The graph editor has problems in 7.0.161, likely in 172, especially with spare channels… however, things show up usually, just not the spare channels )
Staff
1072 posts
This is unusual . Do you see the channels listed in the (scoped) parameter list on the left hand side of the channel editor? Are the labels coloured to indicate they are displayed in the graph editor?

If you don't see the channels listed at all, that would probably indicate that they are not currently scoped. In Houdini 7.0 we introduced the idea of a displayed subset among the scoped channels. By default the colour highlighting in the list indicates the displayed channels.
53 posts
yep they are. i tried even dragging and dropping the channels from the left hand side into the graph editor but no go either, heh. i will try different drivers a bit later. but i really doubt its a driver issue.
-m-k-
Staff
1072 posts
Is it only in the graph that your channels do not appear? Do they appear in the dopesheet or table mode of the graph editor?

If the channels do not appear in any of these modes, try checking the filter field. You can make it visible if it is hidden by going to the View menu and selecting “Show Filter Field”. Try putting an asterisk (*) if it is not already in there.

That's the only thing that comes to mind.
53 posts
yeah theres an asterix ( its on by default anyway ). i tried other modes like Rx, etc. but neither do anything in this case.

dopesheet mode and table dont show keys either. i just see keys only in the timeline, thats it.
-m-k-
7737 posts
That's strange, it works for me on a very similar configuration desktop.

The only other thing I can think of is that your prefs are somehow responsible. Try this.
- From the top Window menu, choose Textport
- In the new window that comes up, type: echo $HOME/houdini7.0 <enter>
- Write down this full path
- Quit Houdini
- Rename this directory from houdini7.0 to something else say (old_houdini7.0)
- Restart Houdini
53 posts
tried 4 things.

1. what you said. no effect

2. same but deleted the directories for prefs. for houdini7 first, no effect ) then for all versions, but again no effect.

3. updated drivers. no effect
-m-k-
53 posts
OK. turns out it was a bad download that caused this after all. weird thing is, bad downloads usually wont execute, yet this installed fine

anyway. i uninstalled the unfinished houdini. cleared the temp files, deleted the sidefx directory to make a perfectly clean installation. ( as well as deleted the hserver and sesinetd files. ).

i installed the working houdini install and when it finishes installing and initializes a few things i get a few errors that i encountered before when upgrading the beta versions.

the first error being a font error, where the font that it tries to install is already installed.

the second error doesnt give much information at all. it just gives out a fatal error.

when i run houdini now, it loads but gives a confirm/warning dialog and it says “hmaster.exe load failed: no such file or directory”. and a continue button. ( i went to check if the file was there and it is. )

if i press ok i can work in the application but its 1/2 broken. ( i used to get this with betas too ) the graph curves work now , but when i try to make anything in the network editor it doesnt actually create any nodes.

in order to create nodes i have to go to the viewer and place nodes there. they show up in the network editor just fine and i can move them around then…

so. i want to uninstall houdini one more time, but if anyone has any tips on what i should uninstall to get rid of it completely, so i can really make a clean new install, it will be appreciated.

cheers.
-m-k-
53 posts
heres the first error that i get at the end of the installation

Adding Effects
Font Effects is an invalid font (or already installed)
Adding Software/Houdini
Font Software/Houdini is an invalid font (or already installed)
Adding 7.0.192/bin/gfont.exe
Font 7.0.192/bin/gfont.exe is an invalid font (or already installed)
Adding -Sq
Font -Sq is an invalid font (or already installed)
Adding -o
Font -o is an invalid font (or already installed)
Adding CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 7.0.192/houdini/fonts/font.index
Font CProgram Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 7.0.192/houdini/fonts/font.index is an invalid font (or already installed)
Saving font table to: CPROGRA~1/Side Effects Software/Houdini 7.0.192/houdini/fonts/font.index

any idea how to get rid of the problem?

{EDIT}

tried out version 6.1 out of curiosity ( installed just now ). and i get same error that in 7. the fonts have already been installed, etc. and now when i open up houdini first thing i see is the animation desktop and i cant work with the network editor and other things.
-m-k-
7737 posts
Wow … that sounds like a pretty messed up install situation there.

Are you running on WinXP and the drive you're installing on is NTFS? The almost looks like a space issue but I've NEVER seen that problem. The thing that just occurred to me is that some people might still be using FAT32 (and I've stopped using FAT on Windows NT since 3.51

Ok, off the top of my head to make sure you have a clean uninstall:
- Uninstall as usual
- Remove the $HOME/houdini7 directory
- Go into regedit and remove HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Side Effects Software
- Remove sesinetd.* and hserver.* from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
- Remove C:\WINDOWS\KEYS (but I highly recommend against this … at least back up this directory)

Ok, now to make sure we don't use spaces anywhere in the file paths, also make a directory called C:\home and set the environment variable HOME to c:\home … You can access this by right-clicking on My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Environment variables. Hmmm … Are you installing as Administrator?

Now when you re-install, make sure you install to a directory without spaces. eg. C:\Houdini7.0.192 … That's strange though as I always install using the defaults and it has always worked.
  • Quick Links