Kernel Functions, fall off curves

4503   4   1
480 posts
Hi
Im very interested in 3d modeling, so i downloaded many free versions of popular 3d applications (like maya ple, xsi exp, 3ds max trial, houdini) to compare the tools and looked for advantages/disadvantages and personal preferences.
I must say houdini is a very great tool for modeling (i think better than maya ,xsi and 3d max).
But one thing i couldnt find, is exspecially for the sculpting (or soft selection) tool an editor to edit the fall off curves.
I saw that u can use Kernel functions to change the fall off but i didnt find a way to create or edit them.
Is there an tool to do this? (if not it isnt a problem but it would be nice)
7756 posts
Yes, I agree that would be nice but no, there's no tool to edit the falloff. Although, one can easily create custom falloff functions in the HDK and they would automatically show up in all the usual places.
7028 posts
As with most things in Houdini, there are ways to get around this. For example, you can create a Soft Falloff tool in VEX (VOPs) and then use an animation channel to create a custom falloff.

If I'm free (hah hah) I will put one together and put it on the Exchange… but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Cheers

Peter B
480 posts
thx for help so far .
u have so many possibilities to do something, so u have spend alot of time for it, but when can manage the most off these tools u can do almost everthing u want in an easy way.
7756 posts
That's a good point, Peter. Or even the good ol'Point SOP.
  • Quick Links