Houdini vs bifrost

13561   10   1
12 posts
Anybody run any comparison tests on this?
I just did a rough test with a beachtank. Waves colliding with a beach, no stones or anything else, both sims had 4 million particles. I simmed 10 frames.

Houdini: 5 min 30 secs
Bifrost: 9 min

I do realize that there is a lot of other factors in play. It´s just good to know how they compare, at some point I will probably have to defend why I want to use Houdini instead of Maya.
4189 posts
Nice! H is the winner in Round 1 of the Hou. vs Bit.

It would very cool to upload those test scenes too.
122 posts
houdini ( or god) always is the best.
occur if houdini stop now. Anyway it would be the best for 100 years and probably in some cases, for eternity itself. I tell you the truth.
637 posts
nice to hear that houdini is faster but seriously it's hard to judge when no benchmark files are available.

i think when the bitfrost team can release there custom gui it will be another game in the fx area. so in the current state houdini win's but next two years they have to take care what's coming.

they also have to watch the foundry maybe they buy or get a product from a studio.
2624 posts
Seriously , why is this thread even alive Bifrost isnt even a full implementation its a half finished release.

Rob
Edited by - April 23, 2014 02:29:41
Gone fishing
122 posts
people go to movies for the best special effects. Speed ​​is important and houdini is the best. but the artistic aspects play a very important role that many vfx guys can not see.
Houdini 12 was ten time more fasta than houdini 11
with houdini you can if you want, mad sim with millons of particles. but if you can not see the real aspect thing people using blender can earn you.
I think questions like that is what make you delay then as artists.

how to impress the audience with only 2 million particles sims.

bifrost is a wasting time.
94 posts
I personnaly don't think we can compare Houdini to Bitfrost for now, as circusmonkey pointed out, Bitfrost isn't fully avalaible inside of Maya, kind of an early implementation of Naid.
Staff
5161 posts
I think it's still good to know that Bifrost isn't starting out faster than Houdini's FLIP. I'm sure it'll mature, but we aren't sitting around idly either
122 posts
twoh, please make houdini´s flip more and more real time. thanks
4189 posts
chevita.
twoh, please make houdini´s flip more and more real time. thanks

better to go faster than real-time!
122 posts
yeahhhh MartybNz! I gotcha
you are super rigth!
  • Quick Links