H13 and Retina display

9553   13   0
1 posts
Hi, I'm having troubles forcing Houdini to use High DPI UI. I just installed the Apprentice edition on my new MBP and the UI looks pixelated, which is fine I guess. However when I change the “Global UI Size” option in preferences to “High DPI”, the UI does not end up being high DPI - it ends up getting a lot bigger and still pixelated (see attached screenshot).

The “Open in Low Resolution” option on Houdini applications is disabled. I'm using OS X 10.9.1 on a Late 2013 15" MBP with external GPU.

I know you're not supposed to get support for Apprentice, but this looks like a bug and I'd be grateful for any help.

Attachments:
RMP_High_DPI.jpg (142.6 KB)

17 posts
Hi! New around here, and in the exact same situation. It’s a shame to have such feature and not be able to use it…
246 posts
That's what the “High DPI UI” option is meant to do, isn't it? Scale the UI elements up so that they're larger on monitors with extraordinarily high resolutions? I wouldn't be surprised if the elements aren't simply doubled in pixel size (no filtering) in order to make the jump in scale.
4189 posts
OsX 10.9.3 might help fix this as ‘Retina’ display is being more supported.
Staff
5158 posts
Later OSX versions require that Apps state that they are DPI-aware, which H13 doesn't currently do. So it'll make the window much smaller, and just composite it into the desktop with a 2x scale factor. When the retina displays first came out and I added the High DPI UI size, I don't believe this was the case.

We should be able to get it Houdini running at a 1:1 pixel ratio when in high DPI mode, I just have a few dev pages to read up on
183 posts
Hi! Any news on this? Houdini looks bad now on Retina display :?
Aleksei Rusev
Sr. Graphics Tools Engineer @ Nvidia
181 posts
I'm using OS X 10.9.1 on a Late 2013 15" MBP with external GPU.

I'd also be interested in hearing how this external GPU system is working out. From what I've read, even Thunderbolt 2.0 doesn't have quite enough bandwidth for full graphics acceleration.
Staff
5158 posts
Houdini 14 supports high-DPI displays natively. There are enough minor issues with scaling in H13 in native high-dpi mode that we've left it disabled.
183 posts
twod
Houdini 14 supports high-DPI displays natively. There are enough minor issues with scaling in H13 in native high-dpi mode that we've left it disabled.

Great news twod!Thanks!
Aleksei Rusev
Sr. Graphics Tools Engineer @ Nvidia
17 posts
twod

It seems the problem persists in H14: although the window frames show at high DPI, everything inside is still half resolution and scaled up, no matter which UI size I choose.
Staff
4438 posts
Yes, this is still an issue in H14. We have made some progress internally but still need to iron out a few issues (help browser and python panels). Once we have something we're happy with we'll have to evaluate whether it is safe to port the changes back to H14 or wait until the next release to make the changes available.

Mark
17 posts
Thank you so much for your feedback! It’s always great to hear from developers. Can’t wait for it to happen then!
Staff
5158 posts
It's currently disabled for OSX, but Windows and Linux both have proper high-DPI in H14. OSX does some extra screen coordinate fiddling that must be accounted for, unlike the other platforms, in addition to the issues mtucker mentioned.
17 posts
Once again, thank you very much for the info
  • Quick Links