Viewport/OpenGL problems continue

46045   98   4
246 posts
Small update: I ran into the same thing today with primitives.
246 posts
So what's the word?
Staff
5158 posts
I've verified that the problem is specific to Nvidia/Windows (Nvidia/Linux & AMD cards are fine). I've also verified that debugging a release build with no debug symbols or GL debug support is challenging (as enabling either makes it impossible to reproduce).
Staff
5158 posts
Fixed in H13.0.416. It was already patched in the dev version for an unrelated issue, but never backported.
246 posts
Just saw the email, thanks - that's great news! I'm looking forward to trying it out.
1769 posts
To chime in:

I go this regularly, when dollying with camera (holding space), sometimes i release the space bar, so i do basically a “right click” in the viewport, but just for a tenth of a second, and obviously try to dolly further, but instead houdini crashes.

It's really annoying, it is there for years now.
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
Staff
5158 posts
buki
I go this regularly, when dollying with camera (holding space), sometimes i release the space bar, so i do basically a “right click” in the viewport, but just for a tenth of a second, and obviously try to dolly further, but instead houdini crashes.

Do you have a crashlog and/or set of reproducible steps? I tried to reproduce the crash based on your description but I'm likely missing something, as it's not crashing or asserting.
1769 posts
yes, reproduced it, here is the crash log, and a screenshot, which is another thing i get frequently, especially when using right click menu.

Just to note, the crash happens with a larger scene, with basic primitives i was unable to reproduce.

win7 64 bit
geforce gtx 770 (4gig ram)
driver: 327.23

i tried newer drivers, but had a scene where i was manipulating 500k objects as packed, and when i switched to newer drivers, the thumbling of the viewport slowed down 3 times, so i switched back to this.

Attachments:
crash_log.txt (1.1 KB)
refreshProblem.jpg (195.5 KB)

Staff
5158 posts
I wasn't able to reproduce the problem, but I committed a fix based on the crash log that might work. Please try H13.0.419 when you get a chance.
1769 posts
will do, thanks!
246 posts
twod
Fixed in H13.0.416. It was already patched in the dev version for an unrelated issue, but never backported.

Confirmed the fix on my end, thanks!
379 posts
Does anyone else experience this? In Hidden Line mode I can see grid through objects. On windows and Linux, Nvidia.
http://screencast.com/t/3cfSD0Nrt [screencast.com]
246 posts
I think that's intended:

Saturday, February 15, 2014
Houdini 13.0.325: Reimplemened hidden-line modes as a true wireframe over surface rendering in GL3, as these modes do not have the same issues with polygon offset that shaded modes do. In addition, Hidden Line Invisible is now truly invisible, so that BG images can be seen through the wireframe.
1769 posts
had no crash since .419, will report if anything happens, thanks!
379 posts
stu
I think that's intended:

Saturday, February 15, 2014
Houdini 13.0.325: Reimplemened hidden-line modes as a true wireframe over surface rendering in GL3, as these modes do not have the same issues with polygon offset that shaded modes do. In addition, Hidden Line Invisible is now truly invisible, so that BG images can be seen through the wireframe.

O was not aware of that. OK it makes sense now.
Edited by - May 23, 2014 12:45:11
Staff
5158 posts
Hidden Line Ghost uses a solid color, so it'll hide the grid/BG image. You can also change the ghost color via the $HH/config/3DSceneColors file (bw if you're using Light, wb if you're using Dark): GhostFillColor.

I didn't think it made sense to have 2 hidden line modes where the only difference was the color of the fill, especially since it can be changed, so now Invisible has the additional property that it allows BG elements to be seen through it.
260 posts
H13.0.423

Flat shaded: primitives (except sphere) are not visible using GL3.3
Staff
5158 posts
martinkindl83
H13.0.423 Flat shaded: primitives (except sphere) are not visible using GL3.3
It would be helpful if you also provided your OS, graphics card and driver version.

If you're using Nvidia with the 344 drivers, either upgrade Houdini to 13.0.570 for a driver bug workaround or downgrade the Nvidia drivers to 340 to avoid the 344 driver bug.
260 posts
Sorry, my mistake.
Its W7, GTX Titan Black, Nvidia 344.75
  • Quick Links