how to resample a curve depending on the curvature?

18347   6   5
289 posts
Hi All,

I would like to resample a curve so that it has more divisions with sharp angles and less till virtually zero devisions when it is straight.
I want to use this for the sweep function.

Cheers
A computer is almost human - except that it does not blame its mistakes on another computer.
2199 posts
you could resample the whole thing quite densely and then use the facet sop with remove inline point on to reduce the number of points in the straight bits.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
289 posts
Hi Simon,

Thanks again!! It works.
A computer is almost human - except that it does not blame its mistakes on another computer.
Staff
2540 posts
Remove in-line doesn't selectively remove points from curved areas, only the straight sections wich is fine most of the time.

Use Resample SOP as above then take away points using the Refine SOP.

Set First U to 0.
Set Second U to 1.
Check the Unrefine option.
Slide the Tolerance U back and forth to remove points based on curvature.
There's at least one school like the old school!
10 posts
i was trying to do the same thing, problem with this last method is that there is no local control. The curve gets refined the same way across the whole curve no matter the rate of change in direction. same thing with the facet sop. i think a more complicated approach is needed to make this more precise. maybe features should be grouped at first and then refined?

Attachments:
crv.JPG (60.6 KB)

8555 posts
PhilipPappas
… The curve gets refined the same way across the whole curve no matter the rate of change in direction…
maybe your tolerance/distance is too high

Attachments:
unrefine_by_curvature.hip (72.7 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
89 posts
Divide (avoid small angle ?) / polyreduce (equalize Lengths: 0 ?) / Divide (remove shared edges).
Not sure if the optional brackets(?) are needed.

For the same amount the final points, polyreduce gives a much better silhouette, … refine and facet tends to create very long segments with kinky curvature.

Attachments:
Polyreduce.jpg (390.8 KB)

Gameloft
  • Quick Links