[SOLVED]Why Does Flipbook Re-Cook My Sim?

1715   2   0
2537 posts
Hi All,

Noob here playing with the Ocean Shelf default. I CTRL-CLICK a wave tank and press play to cook it for 120 frames. I can scrub and no re-cook occurs. My machine will not playback the result at 24fps (I only get 1.6fps out of viewport playback). I decide to make a flip book so I can view the animation, however, Houdini decides it needs to recook everything on every frame change.

I thought the point of cooking was to look in the calculations for better performance? Why does flip book need to re-cook my sim that I just cooked? Shouldn't the software already realize a valid cache is available somewhere?

Am I missing a step? Do I need to place some kind of node at the end to preserve cooked data?
Edited by - Nov. 30, 2014 13:29:49
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2624 posts
Hi,
Make sure you are writing out the data from the DOP simulation to disk. This is typically done in SOPs . Then you will be able to scrub your simulation back and forth.

Rob
Gone fishing
2537 posts
Thank you, that worked.

I placed a File node after the Gravity node in the AutoDop network and then played through the frame range I wanted to flipbook. After the cooking I issued a flipbook render and no more cooking occurred.

Is there a specific reason why this is not the default? Is that just to save disk space?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links