Hard Splash

3221   4   2
4 posts
Hi Guys,

I've been trying to figure out how to make an effect for the past weeks, but still haven't figured it out!!

What would like to recreate is a spash on a high density and viscosity fluid. Like an yogurt! I've just found this reference: https://vimeo.com/97433523 [vimeo.com] that is truly good looking, but there is no simulation as you can see in the breakdown. I would like to recreate this effect, but with Flip solver!

The problems that i'm facing:

I want to recreate that (Fig1), so i'm using viscosity, (feedback scale is on) but when i do so the effect is like you can see on Fig2 - in a big scale. I would like it to react like in fig. 3. I want to freeze the ripple that are created on the impact.

I hope my paint work help to understand my goal! Really hope you can help because i'm running out of ideas. I've already tried to using strain too.

Thanks a lot guys Houdini masterminds!

Attachments:
Fig3.png (1.6 KB)
Fig2.png (2.0 KB)
Fig1.png (172.7 KB)

617 posts
what about making the cherry RBD and a flip fluid with high viscosity, and just play with that setting to start?
443 posts
Effect can be achieved by using soft body too.
4 posts
The problem with viscosity is that it acts in a large scale.

The whole surface will bend, not the area around the collision.

Besides it will always try to get back to its initial state.

Thanks!
606 posts
Depending on your sim, you might get away with some sort of distance-based displacement without any simulation on your yoghurt or whipped cream or whatever it is. It is of course a bit “dead” compared to a sim, but at least the displacement cross section is very controllable.

Attachments:
ee_berries_v002.hip (340.1 KB)
ee_berries.mov (2.1 MB)
ee_berries.jpg (157.2 KB)

• Quick Links