H14 Floating view focus problem

6559   16   0
378 posts
In H13 it was not a problem to create a dualscreen layout with the main application window and a floating view with multiple panes.

In H14 however there is a problem with houdini switching window focus depended on which window the mouse is in without clicking in the window.

Example: I have my network editor in a floating window.
I click an operator int the floating window.
I move the mouse in the viewport in the main application window.
I press space and mouse buttons to navigate the view.
The navigation tool doesn't activate but instead the network editor gets highlighted and a selection box is drawn in the viewport.
I have to click the main application window to shift the focus from the floating window to the viewport.
It was not a problem in H13. This is extremely annoying. Maybe a QT issue.
7708 posts
This works for me when I tried it on the same monitor on Windows. It's probably best to submit a bug with your particular set up. Make sure you supply full details.
1769 posts
On one monitor it works, but with dual monitor setup not
daniel bukovec | senior fx td | weta digital
qLib -- http://qlab.github.io/qLib/ [qlab.github.io]
378 posts
I submitted a bugreport.
4 posts
+1, it requires to click in viewport before you can make any other actions - esc or enter or something.

Also couple of hotkeys stopped to work - i had ctrl-enter for flipbook render and tilde (`) for maximize window - those simply doesn't work now, altho they're still in HitkeyOverrides config file..

Submitted that as well.
246 posts
I have the same multiple screen focus issue on my end as well (focus doesn't follow the cursor) - I need to click to activate now, this was never an issue before H14.
4486 posts
+1. The focus issues seem significant. For instance if I am using the value ladder in the parameters pane and then drag outside the parameters pane, the value ladder gets stuck and the parameter value keeps changing as you move your mouse.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
31 posts
I'm having major issues with this too. Dual monitor, second screen is entirely devoted to a floating panel network editor. Most of the time, after interacting with the floating panel, H14 doesn't return focus to my primary window for, say, tumbling the viewport. I haven't had this problem prior to H14.

It's making it really frustrating to work in H14 right now.
Facebook [facebook.com] | Twitter [twitter.com] | Google+ [plus.google.com]
246 posts
Darric
It's making it really frustrating to work in H14 right now.

Agreed, I've had to limit myself to using the one monitor.

edit: bug submitted.
373 posts
I had an issue in h13 where I would have a floating network pane get ‘stuck’ in such a way that it was trying to put down tools as if I were in a scene viewer. Iirc it was something like I would try to put down a box in the network view, and it would bring up the prompt as if I had pressed the shelf tool, so it was rather annoying. I never submitted a bug report – I'm a horrible person – I usually stick with a single window anyway, but to get around it, I instead made the floating pane the scene viewer, and kept the network view in my main window (with the file menu). I also then put the shelf tools on the other monitor with the main viewport. I haven't tried it in 14 yet, but it might be worth a shot.
Ian Farnsworth
246 posts
From SESI, in recognition of my bug submission:

“This is a problem that our developers are aware of. They are working to fix it.”
4486 posts
Solitude
I had an issue in h13 where I would have a floating network pane get ‘stuck’ in such a way that it was trying to put down tools as if I were in a scene viewer. Iirc it was something like I would try to put down a box in the network view, and it would bring up the prompt as if I had pressed the shelf tool, so it was rather annoying. I never submitted a bug report – I'm a horrible person – I usually stick with a single window anyway, but to get around it, I instead made the floating pane the scene viewer, and kept the network view in my main window (with the file menu). I also then put the shelf tools on the other monitor with the main viewport. I haven't tried it in 14 yet, but it might be worth a shot.

I have this exact setup and I still have the focus problem.

I remember when H13 had similar focus issues in the beginning too. H12 is the only that never had any focus issues at any time if I remember correctly. Hopefully H14 will fix these.
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

6 posts
I have a bunch of issues with Houdini 14. Using dual monitors is one of the more major and frustrating ones, especially since my computer is a laptop and I have no desktop. I always have at least one monitor(which is considered a second monitor)/keyboard/mouse plugged in. When I reported this as an issue in Houdini 13, they told me that it was going to be added in Houdini 14. I was very much looking forward to being able to use Houdini to the fullest in my workflow. Guess I have to wait a bit longer.
31 posts
Still an issue in the latest production version .258.
Facebook [facebook.com] | Twitter [twitter.com] | Google+ [plus.google.com]
260 posts
Darric
Still an issue in the latest production version .258.

Im slowly getting used to first click and than manipulate
4486 posts
If my tests are correct and the logs talk about the same issue, the focus issue is gone in the latest build (272). SESI took swift action in the in the face of this deadly bug

9 posts
I have version 14.0.291 installed, and seems the focus issue is still there? Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
  • Quick Links