Ptnum always 0

5205   5   1
7 posts
Hi guys,

Could somebody help me to figure out why ptnum is giving me 0 for all the points in a “Point VOP” but is working fine with a “Point Wrangle” ?

I'm using Houdini 14.0.201.13

Thank you!

Attachments:
ptnum.hipnc (65.4 KB)

636 posts
use bind export for exporting values.

for debugging / analyzing i always use the RMB > View VEX Code

Attachments:
ptnum_212_bind_export.hipnc (66.9 KB)

Staff
4164 posts
The docs say:
This does not change the attribute values. To change the value of the currently processed element, see the Bind Export VOP. To change other elements or other attribute classes, see Set Attribute VOP.

Bind Export VOP does work though. I'm not sure of the details of why add attrib doesn't do per-point authoring though.
I'm o.d.d.
636 posts
in the Journal there is a Quote:

Thursday, January 22, 2015
Houdini 14.0.222: The helper label in the Add Attribute VOP has been clarified about its relation to Bind Export; likewise the docs of Add Attribute, Bind, and Set Attribute have been further clarified.

the Add Attribute doesn't set the Values.
7 posts
Nice info,

Thank you very much!
2624 posts
I must admit I am hating this new workflow compared to straight up VOPs no doubt because its what I have been used to for a long time. Far to many “extra” things t o consider that I did not have to bother with before. This new workflow has just exposed another level of complexity I didn't need.

Just using a Bind vop falls over as there's no type info like vector / colour / and there's no variable mapping unlike the old add attribute which did everything. The only way to fix this is to add a un-connected add attribute as per the file but it does not set the attribute ! . Correct me if I am wrong as I am still getting to grips with H14 …….

Rob

Attachments:
ptnum_212_bind_export_rse.hipnc (71.3 KB)

Gone fishing
  • Quick Links