Shaky path animation

3073   5   0
246 posts
Hey all,

I'm getting a “shaky” response out of some simple path animation (camera following an object, both on a separate path) and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this sort of thing and had a solution/work around. Both of the paths are nurbs curves (see attached). I'm sure that it's something obvious and I'm just missing it.

Attachments:
shaky_path.1.hipnc (108.2 KB)

136 posts
stu
Hey all,

I'm getting a “shaky” response out of some simple path animation (camera following an object, both on a separate path) and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this sort of thing and had a solution/work around. Both of the paths are nurbs curves (see attached). I'm sure that it's something obvious and I'm just missing it.

Maybe just because you added noise to your geo path in expression???
246 posts
The noise was just to get some rough animation into the travel and wasn't sufficiently frequent enough to cause the problem, and I get the same issue without the noise. I feel like I've run into some sort of precision issue with the objects' position along the curve.

I've taken to filtering the translations in CHOPs (you can see the precision spikes pretty clearly in the CHOPs curves, especially with a SlopeCHOP) and then exporting the filtered worldspace locations back to another object.
Staff
3455 posts
those values don't seem large enough to cause precision issues….
that path is what, 2500 units?

I'd submit it as a bug….
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
246 posts
Yeah, that was the first thing that I thought of too. As a test I put an object and the camera on two paths, both perfectly straight in the z axis at 0 in x and gave them both the same positional animation, only with the camera behind the object by 25 units. They should have stayed the same distance apart for the entire time, but a measureSOP told a different story, frame by frame - 25.000, 25.000, 25.000, 25.0001, 25.000, 25.00001, 25.000, etc.
166 posts
If you set the “Parameterization” to ‘Uniform’ it seems to go away.
  • Quick Links