Transparency with Opengl renderer

5394   5   2
224 posts
I am having some trouble getting transparency to work with the opengl renderer. I am n Win 7, with Nvidia K1100M.

When I apply the default glass material to the front of this box, it becomes 100% transparent, so it looks like there is nothing there. (See ogl_test1.jpg)

When I apply a material with opacity maps, then it becomes totally opaque. (See ogl_test2.jpg)

I have tried the parameters in the material OGL settings, but the do not seem to have any effect.

Any help much appreciated.

Attachments:
ogl_test2.jpg (93.5 KB)
ogl_test1.jpg (137.7 KB)

Patrick
2558 posts
The OpenGL render node is kind of in a “place holder” state at this time, IMO. It also does not do reflections either. Even if you write a GLSL shader for it, as of H14, you can not render with a custom shader. Custom shaders only work for the viewport, not the ROP.

Personally I would like to see some love/dev put into the OpenGL rop. I think there is a lot of potential for high speed basic rendering by leveraging the GPU/OpenGL of video cards.

At this time I think it is mainly used to kick out a wireframe version of a render so you can cross-fade between the final render and your viewport for demo reel purposes (such as turn-table model profiling etc…)
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
224 posts
Thanks Enivob - that is good to know. I thought ot was just me doing something wrong.
Patrick
1799 posts
mhhh.. fwiw, at my work we write custom GLSL shaders and happily render with the openGL rop (including reflections). are the issues you are having with custom shaders also due to transparencies?
-G
2558 posts
Wow, can you share any of those shaders or techniques for rendering custom GLSL shaders with the default OpenGL ROP for Apprentice?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
5161 posts
Is this with H15? All issues with transparency and the OpenGL ROP were fixed for H15. If it's still causing problems, please submit a bug.
  • Quick Links