Houdini 15 Sneak Peak

11017   27   7
Staff
5158 posts
craiglhoffman
Anyone know if proper Tangent Space Normal Map support has been added?

- Like using an existing Tangent Space normal map in a Houdini shader at render time and in the GL real-time display? - Or creating a Tangent Space Normal Map from a high res model onto a low res model to allow our cool high quality procedural models to get into a game engine more efficiently?

Yes, yes/yes, no.
252 posts
That's great news! Thanks!

It would be nice to do the last thing (create Normal Maps from high to low res geo) to avoid having to add another tool to the process, but I will take what I can get.

Maybe there is some way to script using XNormal from inside Houdini or something… Anyone want to make an Orbolt Asset to do this? Or maybe Side Effects could work out a deal to use XNormal tech inside Houdini since it is FREE.

Cheers,
Craig
8555 posts
martinkindl83
Style sheets are already in houdini h14,but they are not even close to the usability of bundles with materials. I will just stay in Softimage for another year for heavy cg projects. CG light project are already done with h14.
sure, but we are talking here about 15 and UI for stylesheets which you can see glimpse in the video
so I wouldn't be saying that that feature is not there without first trying it
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
260 posts
I know Tomáš. I'm not judging yet. If it's there and it's working that's awesome. It it doesn't work as we need in the company, not a big deal. We will just stick to Softimage one more year.
8555 posts
martinkindl83
I know Tomáš. I'm not judging yet. If it's there and it's working that's awesome. It it doesn't work as we need in the company, not a big deal. We will just stick to Softimage one more year.
I know what you mean, I'm big fan of Softimage's renderpasses myself, been using them for years, hopefully we'll have same or better flexibility/usability with Houdini soon
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
260 posts
thats what we are waiting for.
184 posts
craiglhoffman
That's great news! Thanks!

It would be nice to do the last thing (create Normal Maps from high to low res geo) to avoid having to add another tool to the process, but I will take what I can get.

Maybe there is some way to script using XNormal from inside Houdini or something… Anyone want to make an Orbolt Asset to do this? Or maybe Side Effects could work out a deal to use XNormal tech inside Houdini since it is FREE.

Cheers,
Craig

I'll add my support to this

Looking like a fantastic update so far guys. Thanks so much for the hard work. You're really putting the competition to task!
373 posts
craiglhoffman

Cheers,
Craig

I have a setup for doing the projection baking from high to lo poly in tangent space, but am waiting to see what's in h15 before I modify and put it on orbolt. I can only imagine it will be much easier to implement nicely.

For Xnormal, I was also considering automating that, but dislike the idea of having to use a third party tool based only in windows.
Ian Farnsworth
  • Quick Links