SpiroToy Lesson - Effects Visibility with Network Nodes

1866   3   2
2042 posts
Hello,
Working through the SpiroToy Lesson and have come across a difference in output compared to the tutorial.

At the 23'30“ point in the tutorial the instructor is running the animation while at a certain ”Navigator level“ ( Excuse me if my terminology is not correct - still fairly new to Houdini; I have included a screen shot of where I am that shows the same as the tutorial ) for the wrangler object.

While the animation is running he is adjusting the parameters of the wrangler object ”on the fly“ so he can see the immediate result of the changes save of course a restart of the animation sequence.

The problem is that although I have been following his example to a ”T“ at this point in the tutorial when I do the animation it only shows the object moving but not the effects. The only way for me to show the effects is to go up/down in the navigator to show the ”nodes" in a different format in order to see the animation affects also when running the animation.

This is probably just a bit of nit picking but I just want to learn the ins and outs of this program and I suspect there is some setting somewhere that is different than the instructors but can't figure it out.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments:
spirograph_2.jpg (13.5 KB)
spirograph_3.jpg (16.1 KB)

818 posts
Assuming this is not a graphics driver issue, there are probably two things to check:
1. Are the display flags (blue) set on the objects?
2. Is the viewport set to “Ghost Other Objects”?

Attachments:
ghost_other_objects.jpg (129.5 KB)
display_flags.jpg (28.6 KB)

Andrew / アンドリュー
2042 posts
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
As the afternoon went on I continued with the tutorial but was so focused with learning to understand I forgot to do saves.

And because I think I messed up how to set up a Project ( where files are saved to ) when I set the project and opened the working file it seemed to be missing what I should have.

So tomorrow I will be restarting the project from scratch again as going over all the elements of the tutorial will be useful.

But when I get to the same part I originally posted about I will review what you have suggested and post here again.

Thanks Again
2042 posts
Just wanted to get back to your earlier post.

Yes when I was doing the tutorial I had the flags set correctly ( I tried switching them on and off to get it to work ).

I didn't check the “Ghost other objects” drop down menu at the time but by default it is set at “Ghost other objects” when I open a project and which is how it was and not altered for the tutorial project.

When I restarted the tutorial from scratch the next day, for some reason it did work this time even though the “Ghost other objects” was on.

So perhaps I unknowingly I did do something being new to this program but time will tell if it's something else the longer I use this program.

Thanks again for helping with your feedback.
  • Quick Links