i3d Clouds

12297   14   2
523 posts
Hello,

Is it possible to let i3d Volumetric Clouds cast shadows on a groundplane and how?
I did the i3d tutorial but they don't speak of casting shadows.

Many thanks,

bernard
2199 posts
As long as your lights are casting shadows they should work like any other object.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
523 posts
Hello,

my light is casting shadows, but I get no cloud shadows on the ground.
When I put a sphere object in the scene, the sphere does cast shadows.
Why the sphere and not the clouds?

Thanks
252 posts
Are you doing shadow map shadows or raytraced shadows? I could see shadowmap shadows having a problem since i3d clouds occur without any real geometry to get a depth off of.

I would think it would work with raytrace shadows, so make sure you try that.

-Craig
2199 posts
Actually make sure to try filtershadows if all else fails. It's been a while since I used I3d so I probably mis-remembered. But I'm sure filtershadws will work. Unless you've written a shader that doesn't cast shadows….. :wink:
710 posts
Lisux has posted a couple new shaders that look like a big improvement over the standard i3d stuff. I haven't yet had a chance to try it out myself.

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3004&hl= [odforce.net]
52 posts
Nice shaders, but it seems that are not available for download… please correct me if I'm wrong!
Keep working! Johnny Worker!
523 posts
Hello,

I tried Filtered Shadows (textures) , but this doesn't work. Where can I set Raytraced Shadows?

Thx
136 posts
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=846&hl= [odforce.net]
710 posts
Ahh, sorry I thought he posted the shaders. ops:
2199 posts
Bernard
Hello,

I tried Filtered Shadows (textures) , but this doesn't work. Where can I set Raytraced Shadows?

Thx

Filtered Shadows are raytraced. I'm not sure what Filtered Shadows (textures) are. At the moment shadow maps (if that is what you mean) don't support transparency.

In shaders put down a VEX Shadow shader and select Filter Shadow from the drop down, then apply that to your light at object level via the Shading tab, SHOP Shadow parameter.
2199 posts
Ahhh, make sure you turn on the object shadowing parameter for your Vex 3D Textured Fog shader. Assuming you are using the default one for testing.
2199 posts
Actually I just tried this, and I think something might be broken. When you go to Shadow mask for the light and try to select the fog object it doesn't show up. I think maybe when bundles got introduced this may have been over looked. I'll find out for you.
523 posts
Hello,

I read something about shadows on id3Clouds, and it seems that it is impossible with Atmosphere render:

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=846&hl=clouds [odforce.net]

Thx
2199 posts
Ah yes, man it's been a long time since I used this. I don't remember it being a problem like this though. Weird how one forgets.
  • Quick Links