Any way to keep Point Vops sync ?

3204   8   3
622 posts
Hi,
In some case ,create HDA is too complicate for simple use.
Is there any way to keep a group of pointvop nodes same inner vop network without creating HDA ?

Thanks!
459 posts
Will Right-click node -> Actions -> Create Reference Copy work for you?

-b
http://www.racecar.no [www.racecar.no]
702 posts
Im thinking a python script that will transfer the contents of one to another is the only way to ensure a proper sync outside an HDA…or always deleting and copy paste when a major internal change has occurred

as far as I know the reference copy will only link parameters
339 posts
You can set it up to use a CVEX Shader Builder from the Shops context instead of it's own internal contents. Paste the contents of the Point Vop into the shop node, including globals and outputs, then on the Point Vop change the Vex Source parameter from “Myself” to “Shop”. Point the newly exposed Shop Path parm to your shader network and now all copies of this node can be updated from one place. Promoted parameters can be changed individually, so if you want that to stay the same you must do reference copies of the node.
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
622 posts
Thanks for replies!

tjeeds
You can set it up to use a CVEX Shader Builder from the Shops context instead of it's own internal contents. Paste the contents of the Point Vop into the shop node, including globals and outputs, then on the Point Vop change the Vex Source parameter from “Myself” to “Shop”. Point the newly exposed Shop Path parm to your shader network and now all copies of this node can be updated from one place. Promoted parameters can be changed individually, so if you want that to stay the same you must do reference copies of the node.

Hi Jesse, I want change promoted parameters individually ,but can't find these parameters in point vop that are showed in CVEX Shader Builder .
702 posts
You can create a wrangle sop and put your parameters on that to control your parameters on the cvex node

Attachments:
cvex_to_pointvop.hip (105.2 KB)

339 posts
Actually, it sounds like an OTL is exactly what you need Why do you think it's too complicated?

Unless there's some way to promote up parms to Sops when referencing a CVEX shade builder shop… that'd be cool, maybe hard to keep in sync though
Jesse Erickson
Fx Animator
WDAS
622 posts
tjeeds
Actually, it sounds like an OTL is exactly what you need Why do you think it's too complicated?

Because these kind of vops is only for specific hip. And much parameters and outer files must be maintained if creating otl.
1799 posts
There is a much obscure feature in Houdini, where you can create a vex context (not a vex node, but vex context), add vop networks in there, and reuse them all over your hip file (I have not used this in a looooong time, but perhaps it will do what you are looking for?)

Another thing you can do is to use a digital asset, but just embed it in your hip file. You will still create an otl file bUT you can discard it afterwards (and likewise, extract the DA off the hip file later if you wish)

To do so, right click on your node and choose operator type manager. Click on the second tab and choose to save operator definitions to hip files.

Hope this helps!
-G
  • Quick Links