Random attribute values on points with randomVOP

4693   9   0
246 posts
This is a ridiculously simple question, but it's been a while. How do I get random point attributes in the attributeVOP? I've got the global point number running though a randomVOP and then into an addattributeVOP but all of the points are getting the same value…
Staff
2591 posts
stu
This is a ridiculously simple question, but it's been a while. How do I get random point attributes in the attributeVOP? I've got the global point number running though a randomVOP and then into an addattributeVOP but all of the points are getting the same value…

Hi,

Try the new point wrangle SOP:
f@float_attrib = random(@ptnum);
v@vector_attrib = random(@ptnum);

But using an Attribute VOP, it sounds like you're doing the right thing. ptnum (not primnum) -> seed
246 posts
Thanks Mark,

Did a behaviour change? I can't seem to replicate these results (using the randomVOP, addattributeVOP, etc.):

https://vimeo.com/52551778 [vimeo.com]

Edit: Something changed, just tried it in H13, worked fine.
2624 posts
Hi Stu,
If I understand correctly , attached is an example of what you might want to do in the attribute vop.

Rob

Attachments:
rse_myrandom_number.hip (90.8 KB)

Gone fishing
246 posts
That's great, thank you! Looks like it is the addattributeVOP that is falling down for me.
2624 posts
The who system changed back in h14 , yes I am still confused and unsure due to my muscle memory getting in the way. The add attribute is kind of redundant now

Rob
Gone fishing
Staff
2591 posts
stu
Thanks Mark,

Did a behaviour change? I can't seem to replicate these results (using the randomVOP, addattributeVOP, etc.):

https://vimeo.com/52551778 [vimeo.com]

Edit: Something changed, just tried it in H13, worked fine.

There should be a note at the bottom of the parameters in the “Add Attribute” VOP which says something to the effect:
Add Attribute VOP
Note: This only changes defaults; use Bind Export VOP to set values.

Does that show up in your version?
246 posts
We've been through this mark, you know how I feel about reading (slinks away, tail between my legs ).

Thanks all!
246 posts
Let me expand on my previously demonstrated ineptitude:

I need to randomly choose between instanced geometry and the old method (as shown in the video) doesn't work anymore - what's the preferred way to do so (VOPs please, I'd like an interface at the end of this)? What's the best way to assign the “instance” point attribute string in a way that allows a variable to be included as a modifier? ie. /obj/instance1, /obj/instance2, etc.?
246 posts
Ugh…again, nevermind: @attribname (duh)

I'll get there…someday.
  • Quick Links