Workflow - RBD Sim plus POP and Pyro - How to put together

2993   4   0
177 posts
OK,

So I'm working on an RBD simulation that I'm going to be adding some smoke and debris to and eventually, I'm going to want to render this out.

I come from Cinema 4D where I'd just set up a specific render engine and export out my various passes, etc.

But in Houdini, there are MANY ways to do things.

I'm wondering if I should export my simulations first, then render AFTER all my simulations have been written to disk.

Is that the best way to work with things like this?

Right now, I have an RBD simulation and a Pyro smoke simulation, and I'll be adding some POP stuff to that.

Also, I've seen tutorials where VFX artists will export out a low-res and high-res version of their Pyro Smoke simulation.

I'm just trying to become efficient in Houdini so I don't waste time and effort.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
2624 posts
Your thinking is correct > my approach is always bite sized chunks of a problem.

Rob
Gone fishing
2537 posts
I'm wondering if I should export my simulations first, then render AFTER all my simulations have been written to disk.

Is that the best way to work with things like this?
I would say yes.

So the final scene that you render your passes from mainly contains geo nodes that are playing back a file sequence or cache. This would be the scene that you work on your materials and lighting in. If you do need to refactor a portion of your sim you can go back to the sim generation scene, make a change and re-export.

Look into the Extra Image Planes section of the Mantra node for setting up your passes. This would be like the Render Settings dialog in C4D.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
177 posts
Thanks!

So, should I set up a different Houdini project for rendering? Or just set up some geo nodes with my cached sims?

One more question. How do I know what nodes to turn ‘off or on’ when I'm exporting my cached sims and when I render?

I'm so new to Houdini that I may be running a sim when I don't need to.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments:
wall_crumble_testing_v3_v002.hiplc (1.3 MB)

Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
2624 posts
Everything can stay in the same scene . Just label things correctly and when you use a mantra ROP , just use the force object feature , of course with your render geometry objects

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links