Houdini not working (hanging) on OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.5

2145   3   0
9 posts
Hi all, I've had this software on windows and it has been a wonderful experience. Trying to help a friend of mine set up on his MAC system is proving to be a nightmare.
1-First off, after installing houdini and we trying double-clicking on the houdini icon… nothing happens.
2-Opening up the houdini.shell terminal was successful. However, launching Houdini from there yeilds this result:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/13.0.416/Resources/bin/houdini”, line 140, in <module>
main()
File “/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/13.0.416/Resources/bin/houdini”, line 121, in main
path = check_hfs()
File “/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/13.0.416/Resources/bin/houdini”, line 48, in check_hfs
path = os.environ
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/UserDict.py”, line 23, in __getitem__
raise KeyError(key)
KeyError: ‘HFS’

I dont know what to try next…

Please help

Attachments:
crash.freelancer_7091_log.txt (3.3 KB)

2540 posts
Have you tried using the latest version of Houdini? It looks like you are installing version H13.
Try posting your Mac hardware specs or review the system requirements.
Houdini 15.5 does not work with most Mac hardware. Especially low-end machines.
Edited by Enivob - July 8, 2016 09:48:21
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
350 posts
For serious work don't use a Mac. Even with the latest version 15. Just my 2 cents
I found out the hard way as a novice. It seems there are tons of OpenGL bugs in the viewport for the Mac version of Houdini. Feels almost like beta software.

Now transferring my licenses to a Windows laptop.

I assume many power (Pro) users use Linux boxes
Edited by art3mis - July 12, 2016 17:19:22
173 posts
I think there's possibly an issue with H13 on 10.10, H13 is pretty outdated now. You might need a newer version of Houdini.

• Quick Links