Selecting primitives in scene view on Mac- buggy?

2269   5   1
350 posts
Hi
Houdini novice using Apprentice v 15.5.480 and going thru a simple tutorial. On OSX El Capitan. Trying to simply shift select alternating faces on a mesh but all sorts of weird artifacts appear when I mouseover and half the time I am unable to make a selection.
I know that OpenGL support is not the best in OSX, is that part of the problem?
I'm an experienced MODO user and never experience these same issues when performing similar operations.
The attached shows simply the random artifacts that appear when mousing over my mesh. The other issue is not being able to shift select individual faces or primitives some of the time.

I notice I still have an edge loop selected in rear disc object. Could that be part of the problem? In MODO you get accustomed to constantly hitting the space bar to ‘release’ the current tool or transformation when complete. Is there something similar in Houdini?

The other issue is occasional crashes when toggling bypass and or template switches in the node tree(last image). Can anyone tell me if the Windows version is less crash prone?

Edited by art3mis - June 19, 2016 12:26:34

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 11.05.50 AM.png (737.7 KB)
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 11.22.40 AM.png (45.2 KB)
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 11.25.32 AM.png (36.3 KB)
Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 11.29.50 AM.png (64.4 KB)

4189 posts
Yes that is the combination of OsX opengl and the graphics hardware. If you boot into Windows or Linux on the same machine there shouldn't be any problems.

What graphics hardware is it?
1 posts
Hi,

Is there any work around coming soon from SideFX (Metal)?
Is there any things i can do except using bootcamp ?

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 Mo

Thanks
Staff
5161 posts
There is a known issue with the earlier AMD mobile GPUs and primitive selection. We've submitted the bug to Apple (over a year ago, unfortunately).

Metal isn't really a possibility as it uses its own shading language, and we have 1000+ GLSL shaders that would need to be adapted.
173 posts
I think you can now translate glsl to metal through glsl optimizer. But I don't know how you'd deal with missing geo shader support and missing transform feedback.
Staff
5161 posts
Yep, missing transform feedback or geometry shaders makes it a no-go.

Ironically, I could use the Image Load/Store feature to avoid transform feedback as a workaround, but that's a GL4.2 feature and OSX is stuck at GL4.1. So it'd work for every platform but the one I need it on.
  • Quick Links