Support for 6 degree-of-freedom Space Pilot

23771   33   9
11 posts
Yep. I'm really perplexed at how many users ardently defend SideFX for ignoring it all this time. Just because they may not use one, it doesn't have any bearing on it's usefulness for others.

I am not really interested in using a 3D app that doesn't offer this support and one with such technical achievements as Houdini, should be among the first to do so. Maybe Houdini is just for VFX TD's and no one else.

In that case, count me out, then.
655 posts
It would be great, I do love my SpaceNavigator and has been extremely useful with Sketchup and Google Earth workflows.

We should add it to the RFE
5 posts
Sorry for digging out this old thread but:
Blender comes with integrated support for SpaceMouse

So how about SideFx houdini?

11 posts
SRal
Sorry for digging out this old thread but:
Blender comes with integrated support for SpaceMouse

So how about SideFx houdini?

Not just Blender, but ALL other major 3D applications! Even 3D Coat and Mudbox has had support for it, for years now. This lack of support is one major reason I have not yet switched to Houdini…although I was almost ready to a few times.
4189 posts
How does the space navigator help with vex, the network view, vops, and setting parameters. That's a huge chunk of Houdini to learn where it appears it has no benefit, though maybe I'm mistaken.
11 posts
Who said it had to work with 2D nodes? It is for navigating inside the 3D viewport, while simultaneously working. It's not some fringe toy. If it were, there would be scant support for it in other apps. But the truth of the matter is Houdini is the ONLY 3D app that doesn't have this support. And has been the only one for YEARS.

Houdini has tools for Character Animation and Modeling, so it has a lot of practical application, even if you spend a lot of time working with node operators. Once a person starts using one, you ask yourself how you managed to get by without one. Almost like working with a Wacom tablet for the first time, in Photoshop.

Furthermore, there are lots of programmable buttons on the top 2 models, so it greatly reduces the need to reach for the keyboard for many hotkey assignments. You can assign your most frequently used hotkeys and do so based on category or task
Edited by Don Nash - Aug. 3, 2016 21:12:18
4189 posts
I think you're missing the point as you haven't started learning Houdini - the power of Houdini is not being limited by the interaction of the 3d viewport, as most other apps are, but in what you can do in the other parts. It would be almost not worth switching to Houdini if you don't use those other bits tbh. You wont know this until you start learning, which is the chicken and egg problem, as you wont start learn until the Space Pilot device is implemented.
11 posts
No, I'm not missing the point. I'm NOT going to learn or use Houdini without this support….period. Where “the power lies” and what one needs to learn doesn't have jack squat to do with the topic. Just because you don't spend much time in the 3D viewport, MODELING or doing other NON-VFX tasks, it doesn't mean others won't.

If someone is a modeler or 3d generalist coming to Houdini, they are going to spend a lot less time working with VOPs than the average Houdini user would. That is the part you keep missing. Not everyone evaluating Houdini is a TD, and SideFX is trying to attract more and more of the non-TD crowd.
4189 posts
I guess you are right. Probably better not to learn Houdini then.
2042 posts
I've used SolidWorks for years and did just fine without SpaceMouse…even though I considered it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt people love it and benefit from it.

But even though many other Apps have support for that mouse doesn't mean people can't and do use those apps just fine without it.

Same for Houdini.
11 posts
Just because you don't personally use one, that has no bearing on the merit of Houdini adding support for it. People coming from other apps that DO support it, will want it. That is enough reason alone.
173 posts
I think SideFX is wise to spend developer time on useful features, rather than adding support for a niche device very few people even heard of.
2042 posts
The same could be said that it also has no bearing on the merit of the developers spending their time on many other features over support for that mouse.

Many people coming from other apps and who currenlty use Houdini also would like to see time spent on other things other than the spacemouse. That is also reason enough alone.

Also, if you would like to explore the option, I'm pretty sure you could put something together through the Houdini HDK Development Kit.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk15.5/index.html [sidefx.com]

If that's too much, maybe you could run it by the makers of the space mouse.

Maybe if they feel there really is enough of a market for Houdini users they themselves could put together the support as well.

Seriously, no sarcasm intended.
148 posts
I would like support for the space pilot too.
Lars Wood
Future Vision Guide
Advanced Research And Development
  • Quick Links