FATAL ERROR: SEGMENTATION FAULT (?)

32468   15   10
3 posts
whenever i load up my houdini master (apprentice version 6.1) i get an error message saying "FATAL ERROR: SEGMENTATiON FAULT. data saved to <directory>
is there a patch? i tried reinstaling like 5 times, and getting it from the website again
but nothin seems to work. please help me!
thank you for your time
-paul
225 posts
Hi,

The first thing you might want to try is deleting all .pref files in your $HOME/houdini6.1 folder and running houdini. On windows that would probably be in cDocuments and Settings/…./houdini6.1

You should also post your system configuration.
3 posts
hey it worked! woohoo! well if i knew more than just a smidgen about computers i robably would post myu configuration, but im a moron. gee thanks man, now i can get back on the road tomaking..umm..stuff.
greatly appreciated
-paul
40 posts
ok, just out of curiosity.
Does anyone know why this is so? Are there any settings that need to be changed?

Cheers
639 posts
Well… *My guess* is that becuase Houdini is rooted in UNIX OS very tightly. UNIX system is pretty sensitive to space and such. If I remembered correctly, Houdini wasn't ported to Windows until version 2.5 or something.
40 posts
i had similar problems before in linux aswell.
I had to first open a couple backup files, before i was able to load the current file.
Now i know to delete the pref files
639 posts
Ah yes, I almost forgot about the corrupted preference file sometimes. I personally make a personal default on a new version and back up the new version elsewhere.
1 posts
I'm getting the same thing…I've already tried deleting the .pref file in the c:\docs\user\local\temp\houdini folder. Any other suggestions?
3 posts
I had the same problem with versin 6.1.280.

If you delete all *.*hip files in the TEMP directory then run. This sorted out the problem for me, however Houdini now freezes on startup.

Is it worth going up or down a version?

Thanks

Steve
3 posts
After a long browse on this forum I eventually found my answer. If you are experienceing similiar problems i advice you to search for System Variable on here. I just added one with a value of1. This had something to do with my graphics card.

Thank you all for your help

Steve
38 posts
st0per
i advice you to search for System Variable on here. I just added one with a value of1. This had something to do with my graphics card.

Steve

Could you elaborate? What was the name of the variable you added?

EDIT: I just noticed how old your post is
Edited by Filip Tarczewski - Sept. 23, 2016 06:07:52
11 posts
Same here:
I'n on houdini FX 15.5
Houdini works fine, but when I leave the computer on (often rendering something in other app for example), almost everyday the next day it crashes and states:
5132: Fatal error: Segmentation fault.
2539 posts
Can your computer pass the prime95 2 hour [mersenne.org] test? Give it a try, it might be your hardware is faulty.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
1 posts
Hello every one, I´m new in Houdini and got the apprentice version 16.
After installing, everytime I try to run it, it crashes, I´ll add a screen shot, I have tried the solutions that I have been reading here but none seems to work since it happens just after Houdini starts.
In one of the crashes it did sent an error: 4568: Fatal error: Segmentation fault
Saving application data to CUsers/infer/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/crash.untitled.infer_4568.hipnc

This is are the settings of my Lap:

ASUS
GL702VMK
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForce TRX 1060 GDDR5 3.0 GB (192-bit)
1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD
128GB SATA3 SSD
16GB RAM

Thank you people! have a great day

Attachments:
houdini error.jpg (401.8 KB)

1 posts
Hi all,

I am new to Houdini. I am having exactly the same problem as infernam. Houdini crashes immediately after start, or very soon afterwards, just creating a cube and moving it around crashes it. The same error message:
¨4568: Fatal error: Segmentation fault¨. The number can be different. I have tried different solutions suggested in other similar posts, like deleting config folder, etc, but nothing works.

Windows 10 Pro updated
American Megatrends Inc. 1701, 25/03/2016
Motherboard Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Intel Core i7-6700 3.40Ghz 4 Core
Nvidia GeForceGTX 1080 with drivers 384.94
32 GBytes DDR4 Ram

Hope for some help. Thank you!
Edited by peetter - July 27, 2017 09:46:02
1743 posts
infernam
I have tried the solutions that I have been reading here but none seems to work
This forum thread was started in 2003; recommendations from that long ago would not be helpful. Unfortunately, people keep bumping the thread.

The most likely causes are Windows 10 pushing bad graphics drivers (it's automatically installed bad graphics drivers in the past) or something as-yet-unknown to do with Qt5, probably somehow interacting badly with Windows 10 or bad graphics drivers. (I'm on Windows 10 now, and I don't run into this issue with Qt5 and an NVidia Quadro M6000, so it's not everyone.) Could you try downloading [www.sidefx.com] and installing the Qt4 build?
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links