I had to share this stupid achievement

9830   28   4
Staff
3455 posts
you may want to investigate instancing for those screws - not that there are that many at the moment.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
7710 posts
To that while varying the rotation would require NOT stamping though. Still doable but just mentioning it.
73 posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will explore instantiation and the wrangle node in my next exercise.

I will finish tinkering with the current model and move on to learn other aspects of this amazing application. I have attached the scene file. Feel free to use it in any way you like. The corner pieces are particularly useful in case you are looking to build a drone, 360 camera, speaker system or anything else that is spherical.

There is a mesh at the beginning of the giant tree that is an obj file. This is because I had to export it from my apprentice edition. That was before I upgraded to Indie.

Let me know in case you do something interesting with it. I'd love to see my polygons being used by more capable hands

Attachments:
beauty2-metal.png (2.0 MB)
airs.zip (1.9 MB)

1799 posts
This thread was such a pleasure to read! I love that you actually took the time to leverage Houdini strengths in your modeling approach VS trying to just make Houdini just do what you may have liked from another application. Great work! There is definitely a lot of fun to be had in this application!
-G
7710 posts
redaborchardt
There is a mesh at the beginning of the giant tree that is an obj file. This is because I had to export it from my apprentice edition. That was before I upgraded to Indie.

You might consider using http://www.orbolt.com/upgrade-houdini-files [orbolt.com] for your apprentice files.
73 posts
Brilliant! Thanks a lot for the tip!
1755 posts
The texturing&rendering looks very good. The geometry itself is relatively easy to model (for an experienced modeler that you certainly are), looking like lots of intersected primitives. It plays very well with Houdini's strengths. Modeling a character with lots of pieces, more organic in shape even though still hard-surface, will start to bring out its weaknesses.

Funny how a user above felt the need to belittle the efforts of many new users to make Houdini past v.14 a bit more bearable for modelling allowing people to keep their hair while creating this type of work. In other words, it's very good indeed that redaborchardt didn't have to make Houdini just do what they may have liked from another application, because others did.
A user doesn't seem to know that making Houdini do what other apps already do is a process still on-going and of course, bringing its own original flavor into the mix.

While I miss the selection tools from Modo

Currently the selections in conjunction with the Edit node is a bit funky. There was an entire thread ‘bout it in which I had a back’n'forth with a dev and it will most likely be sorted out soon enough.

Anyway, sorry of the derailing… redaborchardt, congrats mate, looks very good.
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - Oct. 17, 2016 10:43:09
1799 posts
McNistor
Funny how a user above felt the need to belittle the efforts of many new users to make Houdini past v.14 a bit more bearable for modelling allowing people to keep their hair while creating this type of work.

I have a feeling a user above may be me and I apologize if that came out the wrong way as it was not my intention. The efforts in making Houdini more and more accessible (especially with the excellent usability input from the XSI community) have opened up a lot of doors on what we can do with it at our studio. It has also enticed more people to try it out and find new approach of doing things which they may not have considered before!

I think on this post, I was referring to a more “extreme” issue I have experienced in our industry, outside of this particular community, where even mentioning another app can get people shaken up quite a bit.

Hope to see more threads like this for sure!
-G
1755 posts
Ah, paint me embarrassed then
Good to know it was all in my (sick apparently) mind. It's all good
  • Quick Links