SubDivide giving weird issue with PolyBevel

2412   7   0
15 posts
Hi ppl,

I am new to Houdini and have run into some weird issue but cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Please see the attached image.

Any help would be appreciated.
Edited by Juned - Nov. 4, 2016 05:42:42

Attachments:
Problem.PNG (1009.5 KB)

15 posts
By the way, here is the hip file if anyone wants to look inside the network .

Attachments:
Issue.hipnc (80.2 KB)

1755 posts
You're not doing anything wrong and neither is Houdini.
That's a perfectly normal expected result.
15 posts
hmm, then I guess I was not expecting this result.

How do I get one smooth subdivided model with no such weird issue? Currently it looks like separate parts are just placed near the circular object, whereas, it is suppose to be one single polygon model that is subdivided with smooth topology.
2048 posts
I opened your file…I agree with you that the result you get is not what is expected.

However, with Houdini we have the capacity to do many different things in different ways for different purposes.

I looked at your file in wireframe mode and was ‘puzzled’ by why when the node is doing the subdividing it wasn't going to the ‘nearest’ points to each other - which is why you are getting the current results.

So I thought, well why would the algorithm work that way?…So then I looked at the paramaters for the subdivide node and sure enough there is a drop down menu for algorithm.

Changing that paramater to ‘OpenSubdiv Bilenear’ option gives us the ‘expected’ result…or better put ‘desired’ result.

There is likely situations where the desired result requires a different algorithm…but I'm still very much a Novice and wouldn't know, another example of the ‘depth’ of Houdini.
15 posts
I did try the “OpenSubdiv Bilinear” option before putting up the question here on forum myself. Though it gives a better looking result it does not give the result I am looking for, which would be a complete subdivided object.

I guess it has to do with better beveling before subdividing the object.
Staff
3456 posts
it has very much to do with beveling before the subdivide…
or you could use Crease Weights.

the default result from the subdivide node is almost exactly the same as the Smooth operation in Maya.
Edited by goldfarb - Nov. 4, 2016 17:03:18
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
15 posts
Yes I will try different beveling method and see if that can solve the issue, Arctor. Houdini is a deep program and as a beginner I still have lots to discover .
Edited by Juned - Nov. 5, 2016 05:11:23
  • Quick Links