How to add point selection to existing group in scene view

5805   6   0
2043 posts
Hello,

I was wondering if there was way to add points to an existing group node of points in the scene by clicking.

I've created an initial group by clicking on the points then with mouse hovered over scened view Tab > group.

This creates the group node with the selected numbered points in the pattern expression box of the group node.

I found this from a search which seems to be what someone else was trying to do but I have no luck:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/19472/?page=1#post-91586 [sidefx.com]

What I've tried doing amongst other options is:

Select the group node with flag set to visible.

In scene window click on select and on option for point select.

Key press ~ ( tilde )

Click on the new points to add.

At this point the ‘old’ points are showing ( they have a ‘blue’ halo ) and the desired new points are highlighted as yellow.

From here on I can't seem to find a way - like pressing Enter, to make the new points show up listed in the group node.

The only way I can do this is to manually type in the new points numbers or create a new group node as before and copy/paste the numbers in the first group node, deleting the newly created group node.

Anyone happen to know a way to do this? or what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
2565 posts
Or just keep the second group node and set it to merge it's points into an existing group instead of replacing.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2043 posts
Thanks Enivob…I guess I should have asked the question differently.

I know your an experienced user, so judging by your answer I'm assuming what I was considering is not possible.

Not that it's a problem as you also gave another way to do it from what I already mentioned.

Just looking at turning over another stone
387 posts
It's possible with ` key (Reselect for current tool). Just check that tool manipulator is active (Show Handle button). You can check that new selection is active when group node is disconnected and template flag is set in node editor.
Reselect and confirm with Enter key in viewport.
See video:

Attachments:
group_sop__reselect.gif (2.3 MB)

17 posts
I think what you're doing is correct. But the tool itself is pretty odd and frequently it just doesn't want to do the thing no matter what you do. Never figured out what makes it not work. So usually I rather use more nodes (as suggested above) as it's less painful. Shame.
2043 posts
Yeah…but maybe I am misunderstanding what pezetco is saying..but it doesn't work for me.
5 posts
Adding new selections (from viewport) to an existing group is horrible workflow, sorry to say.

Just spent 15min pulling my hair over such a trivial thing…a less dedicated generalist would just say fockit and promptly jump ship back to whatever package they came from.

****SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS:
* Rightclicking over a group in the GROUP LIST should give user options to:

1. “add selection to group pattern”
2. “Remove selection from pattern”

or a simple “Update group pattern with current selection”.
  • Quick Links