FBX Export now support Blendshapes

4749   1   1
Staff
534 posts
Hi all,

As of version 15.5.675, we have added blend shape support to the FBX exporter.
The exporter will now try to find Blend Shapes SOPs in Geometry nodes, and export them as
FBX blend deformers, creating Shapes for each of the blend inputs.

FBX being way more rigid than Houdini, blend shape nodes will only be exported if your network
is “FBX compatible”, that is if no modification to the geometry happens after the Blend Shapes.
Blend shapes animations are also exported, but the shapes by themselves cant be time dependent.

Nulls, switches, caches, nodes dealing with attributes, skin deforms or merges won't block the
blend shapes from being exported, but other nodes that will alter the geo, like a subdivide
for example, will.

However, there is an option to “Force Blend Shapes Export”, that will allow the blend shapes
to be exported by ignoring the incompatible nodes, but potentially losing information doing so.

See the attached images for simple examples: the first network will export the blend shapes by
default but the second one will need to force the export, because of the subdivide node.
The resulting FBX, will however not have the subdivisions.

Anyway, this will allow you to get your blend shapes / facial animations exported to FBX, but
might require some minor adjustment on your networks.

On a side note, for those of you who want to get the Blend Shapes / Morph Targets on UE4, be sure
to use the FBX201400 export, as UE cannot read FBX201600 properly.

Any feedback / bug report on this would be appreciated.
Edited by dpernuit - Dec. 2, 2016 10:33:24

Attachments:
FBX Compatible.png (46.1 KB)
FBX Incompatible.png (48.4 KB)

517 posts
This is great!
I was looking at using blend shapes in my next unity project so I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks!
Pete
  • Quick Links