How to create an additional and custom input for a SOP?

5103   9   1
49 posts
I would like create a custom input for a SOP, like Nuke style input/output in groups.
I attached images to see the concept. I don't know if this is possible do it in Houdini for a SOP, and how to do it.

Thanks.

Attachments:
geo_level0.jpg (91.3 KB)
geo_level1.jpg (105.5 KB)
nuke_example.jpg (47.5 KB)

2047 posts
Not sure what your asking…but you can put as many inputs into the switch node as you want, and also use an expression to select which input you want to use as well; If you don't want to manually switch with the given paramater slider.
49 posts
Switch isn't my question. I think have done a bad explanation.

In the Nuke screenshot, you can see ‘input’ nodes, they are the equivalent that I find in Houdini.

Input node inside a group, in Nuke allow connect inputs from outside the group.

There are something like that in Houdini?
253 posts
That input is for parenting, so do you want to have two parents for that object ?

If not, what purpose do you want that input to serve ?
49 posts
A-OC
If not, what purpose do you want that input to serve ?

For user can connect a own op. In my current case, to a curve profile it would be expected.
Edited by Unaided - Jan. 4, 2017 16:51:36
253 posts
Maybe what you want is a digital asset in sop level, not object level.

If so, make a subnet then…. well there's a lot of tutorials about it.
253 posts
Aaahh, looking at your pictures again, it looks like you think that the output plug of a geometry node is geometry data. So no, as I said those are for parenting, or manipulating the transformation data with other OBJECT LEVEL nodes.

I think what you want is an object merge SOP, just look it up and see what it does.
49 posts
From documentation, Object Merge do next Merges geometry from multiple sources and allows you to define the manner in which they are grouped together and transformed.

According with this description, this doesn't would be that I find. Maybe I'm attempt to do something wrong in object level.

However, the concept is very simple I think. That is extract a input control from a group to allow user can connect it something to this input without open group and go into this.

In Houdini, a node in object level (geo1 for example), have a one input and one output to do operations in this level.
My question is, it's possible that geo1 have a secondary input (not for parenting) point to custom parameter inside this geo1?
Edited by Unaided - Jan. 5, 2017 06:48:56
253 posts
“That is extract a input control from a group”

What you call a group is not a group, it's a geometry container, a group is a set of primitives, edges, or points. You use groups in sop level, this means inside a geometry container. So it's not analogous to a Nuke group.

“it's possible that geo1 have a secondary input (not for parenting) point to custom parameter inside this geo1?”

I don't think so, I still think what you want is an object merge. Just make a scene and I´ll hook it up for you.
49 posts
I have found that I want using subnet, that I think is something like a folder or container.

The only one thing is I want create a digital asset from this, and I would like to know if there is possible do this at OBJ level, to avoid the user need get into to geo to connect its custom shape input.

Attachments:
custom_external_shape.hipnc (56.0 KB)

• Quick Links