Displacement not showing in viewport

5886   7   3
2 posts
I think this may be something simple, but I don't have the experience to know for sure.

As the title suggests, I'm not getting any displacement showing in the viewport. Also when I use an opengl ROP there's no displacement, which would point to an opengl problem. When I render with Mantra the displacement is correct. I've tried in H15.5 and it has the same problem.

I'm using H16 Indie, Windows 10 and my GFX card is a GTX 960 with 2GB. I've checked for any obvious errors like not having ‘Displacement Map’ selected on ‘Display Materials on Objects’.

Any help much appreciated!
147 posts
Having the same issues with displacement. In H15.5 it works as expected, but in H16 I cannot get it to work.
Not even a scenefile from H15.5 in H16 will work.

As far as I can tell, something is broken here.

rob

Win7, H16, GTX980 on 378.66
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
4189 posts
this works.
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - March 1, 2017 14:11:50

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 8.10.43 AM.png (1.6 MB)
workingDisplce.hiplc (212.1 KB)

806 posts
seems to work fine here - make sure you switch viewports a few times, the main Scene View does not always get updated correctly (I assume this is an openGL issue, because it seems to happen in other programs as well when you change geometry that is already present in the display buffer)

Marc

Attachments:
discplacetest.PNG (284.9 KB)

---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
147 posts
@Artye: Thanks for the scenefile, it was helpful to help me find what was going on here…

Despite using the default example materials (e.g. bricks, woodchips, concrete etc.) Houdini was not giving me displacement in the viewport.
After rechecking all my Display settings, and being sure I had the proper shading model turned on, I found the culprit in the shader settings.

So even for the example materials with displacement, the “Displacement>Custom Input>Enable Input Displacement” was turned off. Checking this box immediately fixed the issue in the viewport.

Not sure if this checkbox is supposed to be turned off by default, or somewhow one of my Houdini settings has changed?

rob
2 posts
That's it!

Thanks to @RobW and everyone else who took the time to look at this. I thought it might be simple, but I wasn't sure how to troubleshoot it.
147 posts
Glad I was able to help someone else as well
Staff
5161 posts
Thanks for figuring that one out, the bug isn't present in the internal development build so we didn't see it. Bug submitted.
  • Quick Links