BUG:Stop cooking crash houdini

17242   19   2
581 posts
Hi all.
I´m using the last production release and when i stop cooking using the ESC key houdini crashes.
I'm using Houdini 8.0.383 on Windows.
any other people with the same problem?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
1002 posts
I can't seem to reproduce this. Does it happen all the time or only for certain networks? Do you have a .hip file that I could try?

Andrew
7725 posts
Knowing *which* SOP it was cooking would help as well.
276 posts
As a wild stab in the dark, do you have an AttribCreate SOP in your network?

George.
581 posts
As a wild stab in the dark, do you have an AttribCreate SOP in your network?
Yes, i have three AttribCreate SOP.
As a side issue sometimes when i am cooking my effect i gater these messages in the Houdini console:
UI_Queue::queueEvent event queue full. Events being dropped.
UI_Queue::queueEvent 3147 events dropped.

And so on …
When the application crashes the Houdini console says that it is due to a Segmentation Fault, so i am almost sure that is a memory (pointer) problem.
Another strange thing is that when i open the fail i get some errors about not recognized parameters in some of my shaders, and if i see these sahders parameters they are missing, if i press File->Refresh Operator Type Libraries the errors are solved. This is normal?
I have uploaded the scene file with the data needed to :
http://personales.ya.com/lisux/OastEarthquake.zip [personales.ya.com]

Thanls
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
1002 posts
I've reproduce the problem and raised a bug (20336). Thanks for the additional info,

Andrew
Staff
1072 posts
The crash when interrupting should now be fixed in version 8.0.398 and up. It was a bug in the source POP when Accurate Births was turned on.
581 posts
The crash when interrupting should now be fixed in version 8.0.398 and up. It was a bug in the source POP when Accurate Births was turned on.
Thanks SESI, i have tried with the 398 ad the bug seems to be solved
The problems with the parameters stills, i have to refresh all my operators explicitely every time i open the scene.
Is this my error or is a problem in houdini?
If is my error, how can i solve it?

Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
1072 posts
I don't get any errors about missing parameters when I load your file. You can use the Operator Type Manager to track down where your operator definitions are coming from (Tools > Operator Type Manager).

Houdini should be loading the most recent definitions unless you've set it to prefer definitions embedded in the current hip file (in the Operator Type Manager).
581 posts
I have checked the last definitions, and all seems to be right.
The problem is that whenever i reopen the file some shaders parameters are not right recognized and their parameters field appears blank.
All of these shaders came from several VOP networks i have in the scene.
So whenever i open the scene the shaders from my VOP network are not correctly loaded and their parameters are not recognized.
I have to refresh all the operators and setuop again all the parameters.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
581 posts
I have cerated otl for every shader i have in my VOP networks.
Deleted the shader contained in some subnetworks that caused the errors.
Crated new shaders from my otl definitions. not from the VOPs and now all seems to work right.
Posibily a operator names errors that caused Houdini to not get the correct definition ?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
1072 posts
lisux
The problem is that whenever i reopen the file some shaders parameters are not right recognized and their parameters field appears blank.

Do you mean that tha parameters (labels and fields) are missing entirely from the dialog for the node? Or the value fields are blank? Or the value fields are zeroed?
581 posts
I mean that the dialog for the shaders that aren't well recognized appears complitely blank, no labels and no fields.
The parameters are missing from the dialog.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
1072 posts
It does sound like something might be wrong, but it's hard to guess what the problem could be without a reproducible example.
581 posts
Yes i know ondrej.
Let me a few days to finish the project i am involved in, and i will try to prepare an example for you.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
581 posts
More details about the problem.
I have debuged some operator definitions that i have, and it seems that the scene is more stable now.
But sometimes the problems comes because some custom operator instances, instances from a HDA, when the scene is just opened seems to not have their paramers corrects, forcing a reccok of all the scene, for example moving from frame 1 to 3. and he reseting the animation, and then the parameters works fine. But i have to force this recook.
Some clues.
Other ways to force a recook, from hscript?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Use the hscript command opcook to do the force recooking of a node.

opcook -f /obj/myHDA
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
Ok Jeff, and if i wnt to recook all the nodes?
opcook -F * not seems to work.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Generally you don't want to run opcook on everything. If that's the case then there is one monster update bug in Houdini, your networks are poorly constructed or you don't quite yet understand how Houdini evaluates it's networks..

What you want to do is find the top node in the dependency chain and cook that one node only. This will cascade down and cook all the other dependent nodes and voila, you kick-start the networks.

If you think about it, sending opcook wildly through your networks is really bad! You will be forcing nodes to update many times as you kick nodes all over the place to re-cook.

One way to get an intimate look as to how operators evaluate, open up the Performance Monitor in the main menu's Windows folder. Turn it on then cook your scene. See what nodes cooked and how long it took and lots more amazing information. Don't forget to turn it off though. It does have a huge impact on playback performance.
With the Performance Monitor on, try executing your opcook expression. You are no longer running blind my friend! 8)

When you really start to understand the Houdini architecture, you quickly realise that it is impossible to predict how the networks will evaluate, especially with complex inter-dependencies.

I hope you now see why opcook -f * should never be implemented IMHO.

Be gentle to your houdini networks.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
Thanks Jeff for your answers, very instructive.
your networks are poorly constructed or you don't quite yet understand how Houdini evaluates it's networks.
Maybe i have missed something about nodes cooking.
I will try with the performance monitor to know more about the cooking process.
But what do you think about the two problems i have:
-First: in my scene i have a VEX Surface Shader with a custom shader i have developed (for instance /vex/test1), i have created a Shop from this, this new shop is for example /shop/test1. The shop has three parameters, i set up this parameters and save and close the scene. Then i reopen the scene and i get two strange behaviours, Sometimes i get an error that says the the parameters in /shop/test1 couldn't be recognized and the if i go to the shop the parameter pane appears blank, without any of the parameters of the shader, i have to use File->Refresh Operator Type Libraries to get the parameters, that obvoiusly are initialized with the default values. Other times i don't get any error but the parameters of /shop/test1 appears with the default values, no with the values i set the last time.

-Second: in some OBJ operators i have created from a custom HDA i get similar errors that the previous one, normaly i have to force a recook of the HDA instances in order that all the parameters recognize their values.

Maybe i have errors with the HDA and their instances, but the first case is quite simple, and i can't understand why it is failing.
Why if i recook all the parameters are right and not when i simply open the scene.

Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
  • Quick Links