set the Operator style to VEX type, and set the Network Type to Geometry Operator not possible

4163   8   3
104 posts
Hi,

even though in the documentation on this page
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/sopnodes [sidefx.com]

says this sentence:

“Set the name and label of the new node type, set the Operator style to VEX type, and set the Network Type to Geometry Operator.”

this is not possible in the current Houdini version (16) because the New Operator Type is not giving me this choice under the Network Type. (in attachment you have a screenshot of my dialogue)

Is this some kind of mistake or what? How can I set the Network Type to Geometry if this is not listed in the dropdown menu, is this something I have to embed?

Thank you.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 2.45.13 PM.png (99.1 KB)

7803 posts
Oh snap, is the SOP VEX context all but deprecated? You will probably need to create them directly from vfl source now.
vcc --vfl-input mysopnode.vfl --hda-output mysopnode.hda
Edited by jsmack - March 20, 2017 11:20:24
1743 posts
Try CVEX Operator. Most of the stuff that was in the SOP context is in the CVEX context, and for everything else, there should be a way to do it in the CVEX context, though it may require some small changes. I'll ask around about how to best update the documentation page.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
1 posts
I also encounter the exact same problem. Any update on this?
Thank you!
2 posts
Hi! I have the same problem.

I've tried creating CVEX Operator but the problem is that I can't find my operator in TAB menu.
I'm following tutorial where I need to do what Draško Ivezić said, so not sure if Im mising something that is now obvious in never version.

Do I need to do some additional steps to make operator visible in Tab Library?
Or maybe CVEX should be called somehow else?

I have an example of tutorial with Vex Geometry Operator, and file opens fine - I can find the embedded operator within.

so, yeah….
Staff
6220 posts
CVEX operators will show up in SHOPs, not in SOPs.

So you need to:
1) Create a CVEX operator.
2) In a normal SOP hda, add a shopnet and put your cvex operator in there.
3) Use an Attribute VOP inside of that SOP hda. This can be pointed to the CVEX operator you put inside of the SHOP network rather than using its own code.

Note that any example you are following would be building something in the “sop” context, however, which is not the same as the CVEX context. CVEX has all the new features (geometry creation, array attribute support, etc), but some old features changed name/parameters, so you can't just copy and paste.
7803 posts
jlait

So you need to:
3) Use an Attribute VOP inside of that SOP hda. This can be pointed to the CVEX operator you put inside of the SHOP network rather than using its own code.

Note that any example you are following would be building something in the “sop” context, however, which is not the same as the CVEX context. CVEX has all the new features (geometry creation, array attribute support, etc), but some old features changed name/parameters, so you can't just copy and paste.

Should the help page in question be given an addendum indicating the information contained may be for deprecated a workflow?

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/vex/sopnodes [www.sidefx.com]
2 posts
jlait

So you need to:

Thanks! I think I got it.
I need to dig deeper, but at least now I know where dig
6 posts
Hi,

I can't seem to get a either the command line solution or the shopnet solution to work.

I'm trying to replicate Shawn Lipowski's reaction diffusion network, in which he uses a VEX geometry operator as a node in the SOP context (attached).

When I create a CVEX VOP in place of his VEX geometry operator, it doesn't seem to be available in any of the nodes mentioned above. Any idea what the correct workaround might be?

Attachments:
2d_laplacian_kernel.hip (86.0 KB)

• Quick Links