Modelling - detach polygon

5072   5   1
18 posts
Hi!

I am currently exploring the modelling side of Houdini and was wonderin if there is a method for detaching a polygon for example. I have tried both duplicate and extract ( extract seems to be connect to the original object) and with both methods I have to go into the original mesh to delete the polygon i just duplicated.

Is there any other straight-forward method to simply detachin a polygon into a new object, deleting the polygon from the orginal obj/mesh ?

I feel like I am missing something.

Cheers
Bjornvvb

Attachments:
Modelling.jpg (384.8 KB)

74 posts
Hi,
you can use a facet node with “Unique Points” switched on. It will detach every polygon. You can detach only specific polygons by masking it by the group field of a the node.

I hope it helps!

Attachments:
Detach.jpg (250.4 KB)

18 posts
Thanks mate ! Really appreciate it.

How would one make a new object from the “detached” polys, and removing them from the original one ?
Is there a simple work around ?
7770 posts
if you use an object merge, you can use the prim number in the group field to create an object with the extracted polygon. The remove it from the original, simply use a blast sop with the same value in the group field.
Staff
2540 posts
You can use the Extract tool on the Modify Shelf to take your current selection, remove it and create a new object from your selection. This is a shortcut for smack's answer to do the same thing manually with an Object Merge SOP inside a new object.
There's at least one school like the old school!
18 posts
Hi ! Looking for the same thing :
-take current selection
-remove it
-create new object of this selection

The extract tool works well but doesn't delete the selection from the source, you have to go back to original object and do it manually, which can be really time consuming...

Interesting thing : in the houdini help, it said the following :
"To split the extraction from the original, unlock the objects at the geometry level in the network editor."

I tried to lock/unlock, but my object is already unlock. Any ideas ?
Edited by Pacman972 - Aug. 31, 2021 09:56:32

Attachments:
screenshot.jpg (336.5 KB)

• Quick Links