3 Days with same Problem, help, Fracture to Unity.

3627   5   0
38 posts
Hi there, 3 days fighting with this in the company, i can get the Houdini to export the fracture effect to Unity.

Using RBD to FBX and not using animation compression in unity, so i get all frames. The fracture mesh just rotate and fly around in many directions, i tried multiple times, different mesh, all the pieces just go crazy and does not follow houdini simulation at all.

Using the animated vertex
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/unity-shaders-for-vertex-animation-export-tools/ [www.sidefx.com]
https://github.com/sideeffects/GameDevelopmentToolset/tree/Houdini16.0/unity/shaders [github.com]

The FBX does not fracture at all and it move as one big piece.

By now the only way it works is to stop the animation when the pieces start flying like crazy, so if my animation have 100 frames i just use 10 frames. If that is the solution it would be better to make the destruction by hand piece by piece.

Example video, you can see that the node have a error icon, but that was a mistake i made. the problem is not there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtpozzgb54sr67e/UnityHoudiniProblem.mp4?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]

I really appreciate any help as im near to give up.

regards
Fran.
240 posts
Hey Fran,

They both should work, but the RBD to FBX is definitely the simplest one to debug.

One thing I noticed in your video is that you have some 1.4 scales in your mesh, that shouldn't cause an issue, but I would zero those out just in case.

On the vertex animation version make sure that you're importing the second UV set into Unity as that is the one that drives the animation.

If you can upload your hip file I can take a look at it and see if I can set it up for export for you

Luiz
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
38 posts
Thank you for the fast answer. i tried today and still the same problem.

Attached the hiplc.

I have no clue how to fix it at this point.

Appreciate any of ur input. i still have some days on the timeline to do this. I will keep trying today.

Regards
Fran

Attachments:
pillarFracture3.fbx.hiplc (266.3 KB)
pillar.fbx (30.7 KB)
pillarFracture3.fbx (491.2 KB)

240 posts
Hey Franz,

The issue was with having object level scales. I'm going to take a look at it and see if I can take those into consideration, but the easiest solution is to remove those scale values and apply those at the geometry level.

Attached you'll find a file that works with Unity.

Hope this gets you working again

Luiz

Attachments:
pillarFracture3_fix.hiplc (266.7 KB)

Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
38 posts
Thank you again, i will try it now.
38 posts
Hi,

I add a transform node to scale the object and is working properly now.

Appreciate your help, glad to see that we would be able to add this feature in the game.
  • Quick Links