Houdini 16 and Overriding material

4095   5   2
45 posts
Hello everyone! I noticed one thing, which I always used and now it's disappeared. This is Material Overriding on nodes. Now user can't to select "Select and create local material parameters“, ”Create all local material Parameters“ and etc. WHY it was removed? From users are want that they use ”Material Style Sheets" forcibly??
Edited by Felix6699 - April 3, 2017 10:46:23
45 posts
Where is menus Overriding Local Material Parameters in Houdini 16?

Attachments:
shop_ov.jpg (59.6 KB)

Staff
1449 posts
This menu was implemented with SHOPs in mind, and relied on custom parameter tags, which did not work seamlessly with VOPs. We needed to move towards material VOPs for to make the material layering possible, but did not have time to rework that menu. We realize this menu is a useful and intuitive feature, so we plan to bring it back. We just need to re-design it, to keep the intuitiveness while refitting it to the new architecture.

Our current thinking is to provide similar GUI but build a stylesheet under the hood. This will allow the old and familiar steps to create local material parameters, but take advantage of the more efficient override mechanisms under the hood.
45 posts
Hi, rafal! I appreciate that you took the time to write an explanation, it allows me to find peace of mind, because I already began to tear hair on my head.
605 posts
rafal
This menu was implemented with SHOPs in mind, and relied on custom parameter tags, which did not work seamlessly with VOPs. We needed to move towards material VOPs for to make the material layering possible, but did not have time to rework that menu. We realize this menu is a useful and intuitive feature, so we plan to bring it back. We just need to re-design it, to keep the intuitiveness while refitting it to the new architecture.

Our current thinking is to provide similar GUI but build a stylesheet under the hood. This will allow the old and familiar steps to create local material parameters, but take advantage of the more efficient override mechanisms under the hood.

To my knowledge, 3rd party renderers cannot consume material stylesheets, and the viewport support for material stylesheets doesnt sync too well at the moment.

I'm hoping SESI matures some tool to manage rendering attributes more cleanly across the board.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
605 posts
Any update on this menu item/solution? Now that 3rd party render support for override/stylesheet is available, this has become a higher priority.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
  • Quick Links