Material Builder as HDA + save cached code

1523   3   1
24 posts
HI
I had an issue where I have a custom material, done with material builder and then I saved it
as a HDA. I even checked the save cached code in the asset properties. I also have another HDA inside this material
HDA node. I changed this interior HDA using another instance of it outside my material, and the changes didnt go to the material HDA. Is the “save cached code” the reason why my material HDA dosnt get updates, if their inner HDA:s change? or is this a bug? Once I unchecked the save cached code, the changes went nicely to my material HDA.
- seems that it really works like that. and once you check save cached code, you have to be sure you dont want to change the shader
Edited by kojala - Sept. 18, 2017 04:13:15
323 posts
Hi Kojala,
have a look at galleries for saveing custom materials…
Why HDAs?

regards

Olaf
24 posts
Why not? I love how the HDA system exists in all contexts, obj/, mat/ and /out etc. and even if you have existing materials, you change one instance and the changes go to all of them once you save it. all builtin materials aswell seem to be HDA:s.
323 posts
Hi Kojala,
yes if you like the features that HDAs give you, use HDAs by all means.

And comming back to your original question. Yes a cached code is fixed, if a sub HDA is included it wont change automatically anymore. You need to recompile the shader…

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/shade/precompile [www.sidefx.com]

kind regards

Olaf
  • Quick Links