Nothing rendering in render view (imported fbx file)

4481   9   2
154 posts
I have this in my viewport but nothing shows in the render.
I previously posted a similar question with the same object as obj files and the geometry seemed to be corrupted so I fixed it in the previous one.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-09-28 0.37.20.png (3.7 MB)

252 posts
Any chance you could post a hip file for us to investigate?

If you can't post the errant obj file, would it be possible to maybe include just a portion of it in th hip file? Select some primitives, then delete inverted. Lastly Lock the node.
Something like this:
Edited by galagast - Sept. 28, 2017 07:38:57

Attachments:
mesh_portion.JPG (46.3 KB)

154 posts
Hello, thank you very much for your help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkc1ed4u64raoc3/KID%28Redone%29ForFlowerFieldPrrojectForHoudiniExport%28ForForum%29.fbx?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]

Here is the file with just the head and eyes which are most likely causing the problem.

Thanks!
252 posts
Thank for the FBX file sample.
The geometry does seem to have something weird going on with it. When I initially rendered it, the eyes were bloated.
The quick fix so far was to attach a Facep SOP, and enable “Remove Degenerate”. It seems to have cleaned up the odd polygons.

I've also attached a hip file and a screengrab of the render IPR.
Houdini 16.0.731 Indie

Attachments:
errant_obj_render.JPG (16.3 KB)
errant_obj.zip (4.7 MB)

154 posts
Thanks very much! That fixed it completely!

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-09-28 19.03.25.png (1.2 MB)

154 posts
I thought it fixed but after trying to apply materials the render view disappeared again. Every time I copy and paste everything to a new project it renders properly but when I make a new material and apply it, it disappears from render view and from then it doesn't render anything no matter what I do.

Maybe I should try importing in obj files instead of fbx?
Edited by ALMINA - Sept. 28, 2017 16:11:18
252 posts
Yeah, try using a different export format for your geometry.

I also did another version, but used a Clean SOP instead. It also seems that the “Delete Unused Points” option also solved the issue I was having earlier.

In addition, I used the Clean SOP to clear out the of attributes..
Particularly the “shop_materialpath” attribute.
This was inherited from importing the FBX, which currently points to an invalid path.. which in turn probably causes it to not render your material even if you assign a shader.. because “shop_materialpath” attribute will take precedence over an object material assignment in Mantra.

(In the attached file, I locked a polyReduce just to minimize file size)

Attachments:
errant_obj_v2.zip (1.3 MB)

154 posts
Thanks very much!
I am still struggling with this issue.
fbx doesn't seem to work well so I might try obj but I don't know how to export geo's that have several materials on them. It all becomes one.
With fbx files the render disappears even if I use clean or facet SOP's.
7770 posts
Is alembic an option for you? They are generally preferable to FBX for transporting ready to render assets to Houdini.
154 posts
Thank you very much
I just tried alembic as well but the result was the same…
I do prefer fbx as I can import multiple materials on one object, like the head.
Later on when I import different face expressions as blend shapes it will be easier…

Attachments:
スクリーンショット 2017-10-01 18.47.07.png (812.6 KB)

• Quick Links