new to Houdini from C4D, tips on hard surface modeling

2802   9   1
320 posts
to start I am a 3D hobbyist, I've been using C4D for years but lately I go months on end without firing it up. I had the opportunity, sold my license and have picked up Houdini. I like the clean interface and the nodular approach, it really makes sense.

I have question(s) about hard surface modeling. I attached am image of light saber for input. I know how I would go about it in C4D. I d/l apprentice yesterday and for now I am playing around with it but I don't want to start off with bad habits which would be harder to erase.

my question is what method would you as Houdini artist use? in general,how many nodes would there be or how many would be too many for such a simple model? also, watching v16 videos, they mention Houdini now has Boolean tool. in the C4D world this is very much frowned on for the bad/messy geometry it creates. how do Houdini bools differ as far as the geometry?
thanks,
bob

Attachments:
lightsaber2.jpg (47.6 KB)

1265 posts
Use the same method you would use in C4D. Loop Selections, PolyExtrudes and bevels.

Make sure you use the modeling radial menu…it speeds up the process allot.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
670 posts
First of all Houdini enables you to model procedurally. So it would be interesting to know whether you are looking for a manual approach or rather a procedural way of setting up your model?

When you are just getting started with Houdini, you will need (and learn about) lots of nodes. A few years later you might just need one VOP for the same stuff.

Regarding Booleans it's the same in any 3D application: They have their place in modeling but they shouldn't be an excuse for a lack of modeling skills (especially regarding topology). In comparison to Cinema 4D, Houdini's new boolean SOP is much more robust and capable, though.
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
320 posts
Thank you both for the input, I very much appreciate it.
320 posts
Konstantin Magnus
First of all Houdini enables you to model procedurally. So it would be interesting to know whether you are looking for a manual approach or rather a procedural way of setting up your model?

When you are just getting started with Houdini, you will need (and learn about) lots of nodes. A few years later you might just need one VOP for the same stuff.

which do you believe would be a better approach? is there an advantage of one over the other?
670 posts
Procedural models can be changed interactively. So once everything has been set up you could create lots of variations just by moving some sliders. If however you just want to recreate exactly that one model you would likely choose traditional modeling.
670 posts
You can watch some procedural models here (from minute 2:36 to 3:14)
https://vimeo.com/213856925 [vimeo.com]
320 posts
WOW that is some amazing VFX stuff. I have not heard of this film, is it out for release? from viewing this I now understand what procedural models do.
648 posts
see attached,
Mostly procedural beyond the base curves.
Most of the time went into UVs and working-around the lack of proceduralism in SOPs (without manual selections or edits).
You could easily bash this out quickly with a destructive modeler, but using nodes gives you more options to quickly revise and re-use work.

Attachments:
semiprocedural_saber_cpb.hiplc (1.7 MB)
semiproceduralsaber_cpb.jpg (362.9 KB)

320 posts
Thank you for the input cpb. I'm still wrapping my mind around the differences between C4D and Houdini workflow. I love the proceduralism in Houdini, the ability to go back and tweak something without having to save numerous copies is a game changer. I like your model.
  • Quick Links