Split 8 sided ngon into 2 polygons

2549   6   1
27 posts
Hey all, I have been having trouble figuring out a solution to this problem, I want to split an n gon into quads. I have tried using the divide node and it works but it isn't very reliable and it involves a lot of adjustment with the parameters to get it to work for different shapes. If anyone has any better solutions I would really appreciate it!

Attachments:
Ngon_House.png (76.5 KB)

39 posts
You can use the polycut node and define the point numbers in the Cut Points parameter. Don't forget that point numbers start with 0, not 1, so your cut points would actually be 4 and 7
126 posts
I'm super new to Houdini so I might not be doing it right but I used polysplit!

Got this:

Polycut works too- just depends (I think) on your preference.
Edited by The3DStig - Jan. 30, 2018 15:47:18

Attachments:
polysplit.JPG (16.5 KB)
polysplit_results.JPG (23.5 KB)

555 posts
huh ? what am i missing here ?

just use a divide, untick Maximum Edges…done.
126 posts
Hey that works too!

Attachments:
divide_01.JPG (17.1 KB)

27 posts
Thank you all for the help. The problem I was having was a little more complicated than what I said at the top. I needed it to divide like that procedurally in many different cases where the point numbers would change. Eventually I realized that if I turned on maximum edge and then used a sort to find the primitive fathest away from the centroid I could then remove that primitive and then I used a facet node to remove any inline points on the first polygon. After that process it will split your polygons into individual faces you can edit no matter how you create the n gon.
Edited by stephenanimation27 - Feb. 1, 2018 18:03:53
27 posts
Thank you all for the help. The problem I was having was a little more complicated than what I said at the top. I needed it to divide like that procedurally in many different cases where the point numbers would change. Eventually I realized that if I turned on maximum edge and then used a sort to find the primitive fathest away from the centroid I could then remove that primitive and then I used a facet node to remove any inline points on the first polygon. After that process it will split your polygons into individual faces you can edit no matter how you create the n gonna.
  • Quick Links