Render view to texture, then reproject on new scene

1936   6   2
38 posts
Hi guys

I'm trying to set up an animation pipeline for a projection mapping project. The requirements are as follows -

1. First scene, viewed by Camera 1
  2. The resulting texture projected onto a surface in Scene 2
  3. Scene 2 viewed by Camera 2, which is the output

How might I set this up in Houdini? Ideally I will be able to control the rendering of both stages from one place, so I can render a portion of the timeline, and and watch the final output in one go.

Double ideally is that I can use the Open GL renderer. The output does not need to be hifi as it will just be used as a template, and I'd like to be able to review changes quickly.

What do you think?
Staff
5158 posts
You can create a spot light and put the image from Camera 1 in the Projection map parameter, set the Attenuation to 1, and then match the FoV. You'll still get normal falloff though. Note you'll need to use High Quality Lighting to see it in the viewport.
483 posts
Because of the performance I would do it like:
Start Houdini twice, render a flipbook from scene 1, save it to disk.
In scene 2 use uvtexture with “Perspective from Camera”
then assign maybe a uv quickshade and use saved flipbook from scene 1.

If you really want to have this in one file, while updating when changing
the timeline… use a cop, and there a render node and feed this in as
projection image via op:……/img/render
but you'll see, that this is… hmmm, it slows down the workflow a liiitttle bit.

or:
http://tmdag.com/vopraytracer-pt3/ [tmdag.com]
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
7770 posts
I don't think uvtexture is viable, because it only evaluates the projection per-point, which would cause a lot of warping that might not be acceptable (I don't know the original poster's intent.)

The idea to use a light to project is probably the best one, but you'll need to use mantra so that isotropic w/o shadows instead of diffuse.
483 posts
I don't think uvtexture is viable, because it only evaluates the projection per-point,

Many thanks for the hint, did not know that :-)
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
38 posts
Thanks guys!

I will try both approaches.

What do you mean when you say the uvtexture only evaluates per point?
7770 posts
mrboni
Thanks guys!

I will try both approaches.

What do you mean when you say the uvtexture only evaluates per point?

The uv texture node is a geometry operation. It only deals with discrete bits of geometry, such as points or vertices. That means that, at shading time, to get the uv value between two points, i.e. a surface position, the uv point values are naively blended using linear interpolation. This may work fine for planar projections, however the perspective projection is not linear. The Z axis is logarithmically related with the x and y coordinates. This will lead to a ‘wiggly’ look when used as the texture space. You can work around it by dicing up the geometry very finely before projecting the coordinates, however you may end up with many gigabytes of geometry if you do so.

Projection handled by the shader on the other hand is computed per pixel/texel using surface positions not vertices. These make the projection results accurate per sample, giving smooth and clean results which is probably what you want.
  • Quick Links