Edit Preferences window too big for display

3696   10   2
35 posts
I've just started using Houdini 17 (Non-commercial) and I've noticed when I open Edit Preferences, the window is slightly too big for my display which means I can't change the top drop down menu (assuming it is still there because I can't even see it anymore) plus I can't resize or move the window because I can't grab the top of it to do this. The other window sides don't do anything if I try to resize/move. It's not a major technical issue but just thought I'd mention it because it's pretty annoying & thought might be easily fixed.

Attachments:
Edit Properties window size.jpg (174.6 KB)

The only devil I know is in the detail.
2042 posts
Although I don't have an issue with preferences window I have had similar issues with other windows in the past. Sometimes minimizing the client then bringing it up again might help.

File as a bug it you find it happens consistently.
61 posts
I'd also suggest filing an RFE. In the meantime, this sequence of hotkeys may help you: with the Preferences dialog selected, ALT+Space (which opens the window menu); M (which selects the move operation); and any of the arrow keys (which moves the window – n.b., using the mouse instead will not work). After this, you can use the mouse to move the dialog around.
35 posts
Typical, just opened Houdini 17 to try your suggestions & now the Edit Preferences window opens so that I can grab the top to move it with mouse. However the bottom of it is now out of reach (off monitor) due to the overall size of the window. Seems to be overkill considering most of it is blank space. Thanks for the feedback though. Good to know. But there are a couple of things I'd like to clear up while I'm here, also reveal my lack of knowledge.

When you say “client” BabaJ, what exactly does that mean, I have no idea.

Also, pabcou, what is a RFE? I also have no idea re: that one.

So much to learn…
Cheers.
7803 posts
The system requirements list a 1920x1200 monitor as a minimum.
61 posts
SteveS_66
Also, pabcou, what is a RFE? I also have no idea re: that one.
Request For Enhancement. To be filled through this form [www.sidefx.com].

However, given what jsmack mentions, if your system doesn't meet Houdini's requirements, I think there is not much point in submitting an RFE for this particular issue.
35 posts
Doh! My monitor is 1366 x 768 so doesn't meet system requirements so that would explain a few things. Thanks for RFE info too. Just adding new monitor to my xmas list for santa now Cheers.
7 posts
Just set UI scale size in houdini.env by such command (90 for example):

HOUDINI_UISCALE = 90
35 posts
Ivan Malishev

HOUDINI_UISCALE = 90

Thanks Ivan, I just added your suggestion to houdini.env and now I can use the Edit Preferences window as normal. I was getting sick of having move with arrows etc, even then it was still too large for my display.

Much better now, thanks
35 posts
Fixed by changing Edit Preferences > General User Interface > Global UI Size to “Small”. Can't believe I didn't see that in the first place.
1 posts
Ivan Malishev

HOUDINI_UISCALE = 90

Hi, sorry to bother you. I am new to animation and are having the same problem when using a smaller desktop screen. Do you have to type HOUDINI_UISCALE=90 into the Houdini Command Line prompt? It's ok I do not have a clue how to use this. Thanks. Kind Regards Jade
  • Quick Links