[semi solved] issue rendering/meshing ocean flat tank (version 16.5)

2175   3   2
11 posts
Hi guys,

(Note this is for version 16.5.503, and I've also tried doing this in version 16.5.571)

I was curious if anyone was running into the following issue when using the ocean flat tank shelf tool. Essentially in a single frame on my timeline the flat tank disappears while the extruded ocean spectrum stays. This happens both in render and display Examples attached.

I tried searching online, but maybe couldn't figure out the right keywords. I'm guessing someone's had this issue before, and there is a simple fix.

I can attach a hip if requested, but first I'll need to clean up the file a bit.

Cheers,

edit: changed subject
Edited by SirClarks - Oct. 15, 2018 14:04:36

Attachments:
bad_frame_1055.png (870.2 KB)
good_frame_1054.png (1.7 MB)

Your friendly neighborhood FX student.
11 posts
Good news, after a bit of fiddling with this specific frame, I found a simple enough fix. I slightly fiddled with the voxel size parameter in the particle fluid surface node found under the flattank_fluid_extended node created by the shelf tool, I added a value of .02 to it, and the surface seemed to pop right back. I've rendered out that frame and placed it in my sequence without any noticeable seams or flickering.

I'm guessing there is still an underlying issue here though, so if anyone has any ideas on why this happens, I would love to know why and how to avoid this in the future. I'm most certain this is caused by the “flattening” section of the particle fluid surface node, aside from turning this off, after playing with most the values I could not get the mesh to pop back in.

Also, if anyone is interested, I've attached a semi-cleaned up version of my hip file. You'll probably want to run the sim_fluid_compress ROP from /out and you'll also want to change the $JOB variable to drop off the cached files somewhere reasonable.

Attachments:
rnd_landingThrusters.v180.cleanedup.hipnc (3.6 MB)

Your friendly neighborhood FX student.
280 posts
I have the same issue…
And yes I think it happens when the ParticleFluidSurface SOP merges the padding BBOX it creates with the liquid surface in order to flatten it. To be honest, there are a few improvement this system could have. I've already developed an alternative system to extrude and flatten individually each side. But it is also dependent on this merge operation, which I assumed was stable enough. But like a wise man said… “assumptions is the mother of all problems”. I Hope SideFX fix this issue… This ocean tools are really impressive!
I would have never imagine I would be doing a full ocean with white water sim in a home computer! but they are a bit unstable.
Edited by Nicolas Heluani - Feb. 22, 2019 13:30:58
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8408875/ [www.imdb.com]
310 posts
I think it has to do with the bounding box parameters on the Regions tab of the particle fluid surfacer. Try increasing the size in every dimension until the problem is resolved. Also consider changing the center of your bounding box. That also appeared to change the result.
  • Quick Links