Will Windows XP + Apple Intel Macs = Houdini on a Mac?

38734   33   9
19 posts
On my iMac I did have some problems initially with the license key, and to be honest, I don't recall exactly how I got it to work for me - but I think it was by following the advice of someone in one of these forums. Perhaps it was just simply upgrading the video card drivers that did it…

Once I upgrade the video card drivers Houdini has run as good as it does on any Windows based machine. The *only* difference I can think of, is that I have a slightly more powerful graphics card than the computers back at the lab (standard Windows/AMD machines), and those machines seem to handle the Houdini OpenGL viewer a bit better. But those computers also have Nvidia cards, and I've been hearing that Houdini runs better on Nvidia than ATi. As for Mantra renders and other processor intensive situations, my machine is a full notch above the lab's computers (as it should be, I do have a couple extra Mhz than the machines at the lab do, I forget their precise speeds though, sorry).

As for keyboard functionallity, I'm positive the Alt key works, and since I'm not in Windows right now so I can't test the delete key, but I'm pretty sure it's been working just fine. In fact, I haven't noticed any keys not working so far. Right clicking also works fine for me, houdini redraws the network nodes at normal speeds… and I havne't seen/noticed this “film grain” sort of look that MichaelC has had.

I have no gripes about running Houdini on my iMac because I haven't noticed anything that's different from running it on a PC. I hope that helps.
212 posts
thanks…
please let me know if you can test the other stuff when you flip back…
i'm very curious…. if it can be done i will be happy.
-k
19 posts
Minus the delete key, what would you want me to test?
212 posts
just standard RBM workflow.. ctrl key alt key.. what does the apple key do?

can you pull up the XCF ladder still?(MMB on a value parameter)

that kind of stuff…
Thanks a bunch
-k
19 posts
Yup. It all works.
On a Mac Keyboard you have: Control - Option/Alt - Command/Apple.
On a Win Keyboard you have: Control - Windows - Alt

So, using a Mac Keyboard in Windows, the Control Button = Control. Option = Option. And Command/Apple = Windows key - which pops up the Windows Start Menu when pressed. I still slip on occasion and try to hit Cmnd-Shift-S to Save-As, only to have the Windows start-up menu pop up.

XCF Ladder Still works. Simply put, it all just works. OBJ, SOPS, COPS, ROPS, and POPs I've tested pretty thoroughly over the past few weeks with no hiccups. DOPS and VOPS I haven't tested too much – I don't know DOPs, and I've only made one very simple VOP shader and it worked, so it's probably safe to assume it all works. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions let me know.
15 posts
Use Linux on Intel and MacOSX on Mac.

I do you absolutely want this crappy OS on a Mac ?

and Vista will use so much resources for gimicky/useless things like Aero.

forget about Windows
The littlelest hobo
29 posts
BriAnimations
(if you got the iMac or MacBook Pro, it should be the x1600, and that's about halfway down the massive list, select the first one - as there are several listings for the x1600). Then click next/continue till that finishes and enjoy!

Hi.

This procedure doesn't seem to work on MacBook Pro, as it has ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 chip, and the ATI software (Catalyst) for the mobility versions doesn't work with the MacBook Pro…

Any other ideas besides disabling acceleration using System Veriable? Is linux version of Houdini working with Ati mobility X1600 cards?

Rgds, KD.
2 posts
im right with you man (previous post). im really wanting this to work..anyone have any ideas for us macbook pro users?? it wont let us update the catalyst or the drivers….???? houdini keeps crashing while trying to register…please help.
1 posts
I used the unofficial Omega Drivers [omegadrivers.net], which work great on my iMac.

I first de-installed the default ATI drivers:
Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > Properties > Driver > Uninstall . This will reset your video mode to 800x600, so be careful. Once the Omega Drivers were installed, everything worked perfectly.
14 posts
Hi there,

I sucessfully installed windows and houdini in my MacBook Pro. I had to uninstall the drivers that bootcamp installed for me, and looking into the directory created under PROGRAM FILES by bootcamp I found newer versions of the drivers, there were two directories with different versions, then I installed the newer version and everything goes PERFECT, Houdini runs very well, much better than others PCs with cheap nvidias.

How amazing could be having the best 3D app on OSX !
I hope one day that happens.
711 posts
How about houdini on a macbook pro running linux? Is it feasable? I need a laptop and the macbook pros look kinda nice, and I wouldn't mind trying OSX too I guess. Supposedly ATi has pretty crummy linux support, so is it even worth it?
Anyone running such a setup (or any ati mac+linux+houdini setup)?
26 posts
gaucho
Hi there,

I sucessfully installed windows and houdini in my MacBook Pro. I had to uninstall the drivers that bootcamp installed for me, and looking into the directory created under PROGRAM FILES by bootcamp I found newer versions of the drivers, there were two directories with different versions, then I installed the newer version and everything goes PERFECT, Houdini runs very well, much better than others PCs with cheap nvidias.

How amazing could be having the best 3D app on OSX !
I hope one day that happens.

I did the same, I just set up my coreduo2 15 inch and it worked fine for my houdini install but only after installing the new drivers for the vid card. i had the same errors trying to install the apprentice license.

works great now, and im happy learning houdini with the aid of the book “the magic of houdini” Great book!
68 posts
graphos1
The stable hardware platform available in a Mac should prove to be a major asset.
I had to do a job once on 8 intel macpros with nvidia quadros running osx or windows with maya and we had all sorts of issues, it was _extremely_ unstable. Apple wouldn't help us at all and every single macpro had the exact same problems. Stable hardware platform? HA! Put a PC together yourself and you'll never have an issue under windows or linux.
53 posts
Thank you,

I think that's good advice.

graphos1
  • Quick Links