Will Windows XP + Apple Intel Macs = Houdini on a Mac?

38685   33   9
53 posts
Hi,

Does the information available at http//www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html
mean that Houdini will install and run on Intel-based Macs?

Best Regards,

Philip
4140 posts
I don't see why not - all the kerfuffle about this product has me somewhat mystified - it's just a bootloader. Just because Apple has sanctioned it, it makes the top of the media list. :roll: Since all it's doing is firing up windows, then windows can run any app you could normally run on it, bizarre little Mac hardware issues aside. It means Houdini runs on Mac *hardware*, not software though. You have to be willing to do a reboot.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
53 posts
Thanks, J.C.

The stable hardware platform available in a Mac should prove to be a major asset.

Best Regards,

Philip
7025 posts
Does the Mac use ATI or Nvidia graphics? Because if they use ATI, don't expect a lot of stability )

Cheers,

Peter B
581 posts
graphos1
Thanks, J.C.

The stable hardware platform available in a Mac should prove to be a major asset.

Best Regards,

Philip
If hardware means PC …. You have the same stability in a Mac than in a IBM/Dell/BOXX/HP/…. workstation.
And yes, the BootCamp is a simple boot loader with fancy graphics.
Looks good.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
Staff
2540 posts
Given that this is just a boot loader, it should also be able to run linux.

So you could conceivably run osx, winxp and linux.
There's at least one school like the old school!
581 posts
jeff
Given that this is just a boot loader, it should also be able to run linux.

So you could conceivably run osx, winxp and linux.
If they want to support it …
The bootloader needs to know how to jump to the first partition sector, now it is done, and then how to load the kernel in memory.
But obviously all the linux bootloader are GPL so if they want they can.

Attachments:
LinuxEatMacs.jpg (24.6 KB)

Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
3 posts
I got a macbook pro, with boot camp and drivers installed. I downloaded houdini latest stable & nightly build and tried to get it to work, but failed.

The install works fine, for both versions. It's just that when I try to get a free non-commercial license it crashes on me Also opening the license administrator and selecting anything in the file menu makes it crash.

Any suggestions for what it could be?

Thanx,

/oskar
581 posts
owahlberg
I got a macbook pro, with boot camp and drivers installed. I downloaded houdini latest stable & nightly build and tried to get it to work, but failed.

The install works fine, for both versions. It's just that when I try to get a free non-commercial license it crashes on me Also opening the license administrator and selecting anything in the file menu makes it crash.

Any suggestions for what it could be?

Thanx,

/oskar
Are the OpenGL drivers working properly?
The windooze in macintel has OpenGL?
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
4140 posts
Windows is windows - there's not a special version that needs to be installed. Once windows is booted, it's a windows session like any other windows PC. The only issue would be any Mac-specific hardware that doesn't have proper support in Windows. I'm wondering if the ATI card is giving the usual hassles with the drivers that seem to follow it everywhere…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
19 posts
I also have the same problem on my new iMac, Houdini crashes if you open up any windows - such as the Global Animations Window, to change the FPS or whatever, making it ultimately useless.

I partitioned this HD in FAT - and not NTFS. That shouldn't be a problem would it? (Sorry if that's a stupid question… years of being a mac user have left me in some areas technically ignorant).

I do have the ATI drivers installed… (even tested out the Battlefield 2 demo… runs very nice), and I don't know what else really to do. I would *really* love to run Houdini, so I'm willing to experiment, if anybody has any ideas.
57 posts
I also have a problem with a crash with houdini 8 when the application tries to find a non commercial license…i have an error like hkey.exe has caused an unexpecter error blah blah blah…
but .. :-)
winxp sp2 on a PC..

JB…
Staff
2540 posts
This may be a long shot but try creating a new Windows System environment variable that will disable Houdini using the hardware OpenGL and use the Software OpenGL that is built in to Windows:

HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE = 1
There's at least one school like the old school!
57 posts
it worked jeff …
…i am speechless
damn ATI cards….
7725 posts
Try the suggestion on this thread perhaps?
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5526&highlight= [sidefx.com]
4140 posts
Well, it might work, but it's an absolute last resort. You're basically running without 3D acceleration for graphics. I'm afraid that's not a very practical solution, but I suppose it's better than crashing.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
57 posts
trying the latest ATI drvers works fine …here
but u have to remove all the previous catalyst drivers with a
cat-uninstaller u can get from ATI site .

JB.
344 posts
What I did was manually install ATI's x1600 drivers through the device manager. I then turned off Open GL hardware acceleration in the Display Manager to get a license. I then turned it back on to run Houdini.

It runs… but there are issues. Icons draw slowly in the tab menu. Interface has redrawing issues, Houdini doesn't seem to want to recognize Apple's Alt key, Houdini doesn't recognize Apple's delete key, even with an apple mouse utitlity to generate right clicks, I cannot right click in Houdini… and as always Houdini on Windows especially with ATI is extremely flakey. It's pretty sluggish when compared to even lesser Nvidia gaming cards. There's also this wierd “film grain” sort of look in any accelerated viewport (even other applications). I have to get a 3 button bluetooth mouse and see what I can do about fixing the hotkey issues, but it works more or less. Good enough for light work. I won't be ditching my workstations anytime soon though.

Other 3D apps seem to work pretty decently on this, Silo and ZBrush are running well in Windows.
19 posts
Here's how I got my iMac to work with Houdini: In short, update the video cards.

Or in more detail… Download Catalyst 6.X from ATI's website in the driver section and expand it. Then go to the Device Manager (Right-click in My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware / Hardware Manager). Find your ATI Card in the menu, and then tell it to update the driver. Tell it you want to update it yourself, not searching the web, then proceed to tell it you have the disk, navigate to the directory where you downloaded Catalyst to, and search around till you find the file: C2_32464.inf - select that. Then in the new drop-down menu, find your Video Card (if you got the iMac or MacBook Pro, it should be the x1600, and that's about halfway down the massive list, select the first one - as there are several listings for the x1600). Then click next/continue till that finishes and enjoy!
212 posts
so you have you houdini running fine on your iMacPro in the window boot up?

are you having the same problems about the rightClick mentioned above and the deleteKey?

was there a problem with the licence ?

I'm very curious…

-k
  • Quick Links