LOD Creation Toolkit

6408   6   5
197 posts
Hey all,

I'm currently collecting some information about LOD Creation workflows.. Meaning I have a question specifically for the realtime users in this community. What is it you're looking for in a LOD Creation Toolset?

If you have some examples on workflow you use at a studio/at home I'd like to hear about that! (Either here / email)

Things I'd like to know about for now:
1. What solutions are you currently using? (Houdini, Simplygon, InstaLOD, Custom, etc)
2. What do those solutions lack / excel in?
3. If not currently using Houdini - Is there anything Houdini is missing to achieve that?

Looking forward to hearing what you need / imagine!

Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
12 posts
Hello Paul Ambrosiussen.
I just noticed this thread - and I am kinda confused to see its empty.
Not sure what it means.
I can say, I am very much interested in LOD creation toolset. I started using Houdini for this task like half a year ago, and, though I love a lot of what I can achieve there is also a lot that could work better for me, thats for sure.
Is there still an interest from your side to work on this?

Thank you
Pavel
8 posts
I’m a bit new to LOD tools, coming from comp tools like Flame.
This is seems related, apologies if new post would be better…

I’ve been intrigued by impostors and was curious if the relation to camera and looking up the correct tile on the impostor render are embedded in the FBX?

Flame is centered around realtime interactivity, so it’s toolset isn’t likely to handle LOD on the fly, but was seeing if possible to force an impostor into an FBX without the higher rez geo and hopefully without needing to manually write all the lookat expressions to parse out which part of the textures it’s calling.

Thanks in advance.
Andy D.
197 posts
Pavel_Druzba
Hello Paul Ambrosiussen.
I just noticed this thread - and I am kinda confused to see its empty.
Not sure what it means.
I can say, I am very much interested in LOD creation toolset. I started using Houdini for this task like half a year ago, and, though I love a lot of what I can achieve there is also a lot that could work better for me, thats for sure.
Is there still an interest from your side to work on this?

Thank you
Pavel

Hey Pavel!

Thanks for your interest! If you'd like to give the LOD tool we built a go, you can check out the “GameDev LOD Create” tool from the GameDevToolset. We'd love to get feedback on it if you have any..

imag4media
I’m a bit new to LOD tools, coming from comp tools like Flame.
This is seems related, apologies if new post would be better…

I’ve been intrigued by impostors and was curious if the relation to camera and looking up the correct tile on the impostor render are embedded in the FBX?

Flame is centered around realtime interactivity, so it’s toolset isn’t likely to handle LOD on the fly, but was seeing if possible to force an impostor into an FBX without the higher rez geo and hopefully without needing to manually write all the lookat expressions to parse out which part of the textures it’s calling. I did a demo/overview of the tool in this webinar: https://youtu.be/3lvldnLa6xI?t=1114 [youtu.be]

Thanks in advance.
Andy D.

Hey!

The lookup functionality for impostors is actually handled by the shader and not the geometry itself. The LOD tool we built also has the ability to include impostors for the last LOD. You can actually tweak your LODs relatively quickly when processing game resolution meshes! (See link above)

Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
75 posts
does this lod creation work on objects already textured from UDIM to a single texture mesh?

and does the imposter bake the octahedral type imposters for unreal?
197 posts
Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply, I have been on vacation until now.
The answer to both your questions is yes. The tool will UV-Layout your UVs from UDIM to a single UV tile and rebake your textures.
As for the octahedral impostor, you will need to specify you want that type to be generated in the tool parameters.

Paul
Paul Ambrosiussen
75 posts
cool thanks! now I just have to figure out how to load in textures to this thing
  • Quick Links