Best laptop for work in Houdini

9688   16   3
51 posts
Hello everyone,
I've started to work as junior FX Houdini artist a couple of months ago. I am looking for a new computer that will be primarily for my personal project in Houdini (if I will have time after work) and for gaming. For several reasons, I would like to buy a laptop instead of a Desktop one. I know that having a Desktop one would be cheaper and more powerful, but I use my computer a lot on the go and the desktop one will be a problem for me.

I did some research and I saw that some of the best brands are:
  • MSI
  • ASUS
  • Razer
  • Alienware

I've taken a look at the Black Razer Blade 15 - Full HD 144Hz GeForce RTX2070 (512GB SSD)and I think that this specifics can be alright for working on personal projects at home.

Does anyone have a laptop of one of these brands or other? Any suggestions?
I'm a bit lost and I would like to make the best decision.
Thank you so much
9 posts
I bought a new laptop last year and the best laptops I found with respect to specs/price were the HP Omen laptops. They offer features such as 4k, high-end GeForce GPUs, etc.
51 posts
Thank you @sburke! I will take a look at them
6 posts
I am using ASUS
37 posts
Hey chaps thought I'd ask on here seeing as it's a recent thread? I'm in UK I run my own office with two decent i9 systems with 1080s in them. Houdini runs at a fair pace on those overall I've found. Enough for what i need.

I want to get a laptop but don't have a massive budget.. I'm considering an Asus for Houdini use.

My plan is to use it to learn more vex and setup some smaller setups vs the heavy duty cache manipulation I do on my office computers.

I have a budget of around 5 to 600 I know that's much but is there anything worth getting at all?

Ta
Ant
51 posts
Hi,
I end up buying a Razer blade 15”. I will say that with your budget it’s really hard finding a laptop computer to work with Houdini simulation, but if you need one for only vex setup, maybe have a look at MSI computers. I saw that was the cheapest brand in relation to the specifics.
Cheers
37 posts
iamgroot93
Hi,
I end up buying a Razer blade 15”. I will say that with your budget it’s really hard finding a laptop computer to work with Houdini simulation, but if you need one for only vex setup, maybe have a look at MSI computers. I saw that was the cheapest brand in relation to the specifics.
Cheers

Yeah I just want it for learning vex and some of the other more code based sop stuff vs out n out sim work.. I can always send that to my pc remote in and make it simulate there I'll take a look at msi thanks
1 posts
iamgroot93
Hi,
Cheers
Hey !
I m considering the same laptop for Houdini ,
what is your experience with Houdini on the Raser blade 15 so far ?
which model did u get ?

Thank you in advance
51 posts
Hello, my experience with the blade 15 is pretty good for now. I’m not using non this as my work computer but just for personal projects. I took the one with the RTX2070, with HD monitor and 16GB of ram (which is unluckily the highest one you can buy from the store but this computer support 64Gb ram and you can expands it). I will buy soon more RAM for it and I can let you know how does it go. I find the RAM the only limitation at the moment since I’m used to work with 64Gb. For the rest the computer for me works really nicely. Hope you find this helpful.
4512 posts
This is also a pretty good laptop:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigabyte-Aero-17-XA-HDR-Laptop-Review-This-is-a-Really-Good-17-inch-Laptop.433439.0.html [www.notebookcheck.net]

Can get
17" 4K HDR
i9 9980HK
RTX 2070
64GB RAM

+ Undervolt and OC CPU and GPU up to 5 Ghz
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
1737 posts
I have the previous gen Aero, I suggest finding a friend that has one and trying it out. The base machine is good, battery life good for this class, trackpad not bad, but the keyboard is awful. Others don't mind it, but it really irritates me every day, if I'd known earlier I would've stuck with MSI.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
4512 posts
mestela
I have the previous gen Aero, I suggest finding a friend that has one and trying it out. The base machine is good, battery life good for this class, trackpad not bad, but the keyboard is awful. Others don't mind it, but it really irritates me every day, if I'd known earlier I would've stuck with MSI.

Yes agreed the keyboard sucks for me too, but not because of the tactile feedback, etc but because the layout, or lack there of. Everything is uniformly fitted which is not ergonomic. A bit of spacing between certain keys would be really great.

So to compensate for this, I colored certain keys differently so they stand out. Still not as fast as feeling the keys with your hand.

Most of the time, I use my external keyboard though: Dinovo Edge, so it's not a huge deal breaker for me.
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

6 posts
Hey,

I am looking for a good laptop also. Most of those laptops graphics cards mentioned above dont seem to be on this supported graphics card link:

https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/supported-graphics-cards/ [www.sidefx.com]

Am I not reading this info properly and do I need to match the exact model from this list?

I was considering a Thinkpad P1 Gen2 with a NVIDIA Quadro T2000 Max-Q 4GB GDDR5, but thats not on the list.
51 posts
I'm definitely using Houdini on my laptop that has an Nvidia GeForce 2070. The GeForce 2060, 2070 and 2080, are pretty new graphics cards(released in June 2019)so maybe the link you said is not being updated recently.
37 posts
ASUS TUF FX505 15.6 Inch Full HD 120 Hz Gaming Laptop (Black) (AMD Ryzen R5-3550H, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB, 256 GB PCI-e SSD, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S2ZLNS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0nc3DbTRY7VGP [www.amazon.co.uk]

I saw this on black Friday sales.. it's nowt special but just wondered if it'll let me tinker with Houdini and vex perhaps? As I said not bothered on heavy duty sim work.. I can cook that overnight in my office logging in remotely (it's 5 mins walk away lol but the front room is cosier haha).

Ant thoughts?
Ta
Ant
1 posts
Yes, I have used Razer Blade 15 as well as the new Dell XPS 15 with various video-editing [mylaptopguide.com] and designing works. Both the laptops deliver high-end graphics and performance. And as you mentioned, the MSI [mylaptopguide.com] and ASUS laptops also deliver the best performance. Some of the MSI and ASUS laptops [mylaptopguide.com] that are perfect for such work are MSI Stealth and ASUS ProArt Studiobook.
Edited by CarolMoore - Dec. 9, 2019 22:20:03
4512 posts

Edited by animatrix_ - Dec. 18, 2019 16:33:07

• Quick Links