Displaying Linear Color space in Display Window

4089   3   0
113 posts
I'm creating a color calculator for my students and I'm trying to get my object colors to appear in the viewport with their true linear values. I could be very wrong about this; please correct me if I am . But it seems as if Houdini is assuming that all of its input color values are in sRGB space thus “decodes” the value before performing operations. I was able to “encode” the result of my rendering shader by taking the resulting color to the 2.2 power. This ultimately places the color back to linear space. The rendering results look good. However, I'm trying to get the viewport (“openGL”)shader to do the same.

Other than writing a new openGl shader, is there another way of doing this?

I am including two images.
The first is a snap shot of display window with the swatch(in linear space)and the display with is in what I believe to be sRGB space.
BTW/ the calculator is performing(as shown) an “encode” operation which basically shifts a linear color to sRGB color space by taking it to the 2.2 power.
The second image is a rendering of that calculation, which appears to be in linear color space.

Image Not Found
Edited by rudeypunk - Oct. 27, 2019 15:16:31

Attachments:
non-liearscreencapture.JPG (34.4 KB)
calculatorSetup.mantra_ipr.0004.exr (353.4 KB)
linearRendering.JPG (21.7 KB)

7762 posts
Change the viewer space to linear on the color correction bar. The color picker can also have color correction disabled.

Attachments:
color-linear_light.png (636.7 KB)

113 posts
Thanks jsmack -
I found that I could make the adjustment in the “Display Options” editor

Would you please describe how to get the color correction bar in the view window?
Also, how would you turn off the color correction in the color picker?

Thanks!

Attachments:
SceneDisplay.JPG (42.0 KB)

1 posts
Correction bar: Display View option (the left button in the top right corner of viwport). Select Correction Toolbar from the menu. The bar appears at the screen bottom.

Color palette color correction: In the Color Editor (color picker) you have a top row of buttons. Press the one that looks like a triangle pointing bottom-right.
  • Quick Links