Placing a sunlight according to real life coordinates?

2101   8   1
10 posts
Hi there! I'm building a pergola in my backyard and I'm designing it in houdini first to get the plans.

I would like to accurately simulate sunlight and it's shadows according to my real life location and time of day.

Is there any way to do that within houdini?

Thanks a lot!
2040 posts
If you have a source(which are around) to bring in the data, yes. From what I've seen it's easy enough to get the suns' location for a specific time of day and location. But I suspect to do what you want your going to have to (unless you can find an app that generates it for you) is make a list from your source of datapoints and do some interpolation; Bringing in that initial data with python perhaps.

Here is one though that looks like you have all you need in terms of calculation:

http://www.pvresources.com/en/siteanalysis/siteanalysis.php [www.pvresources.com]
Edited by BabaJ - May 22, 2020 09:50:08
8554 posts
you can also use Sky Light

Attachments:
sky_light.png (20.0 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
10 posts
tamte
you can also use Sky Light
Image Not Found

That will probably do it! Thanks!
2040 posts
Tried the skylight…you can't use true lattitude though. Normally lattitude is given starting from the equator, but this light uses lattitude coming from north pole. So you will have to do a conversion. Also longtitude is not taken in east or west. Seems positive values up to 180 are west while negative values are east.(haven't tested a east value, but west values work).

SideFX main office is in Toronto sitting at approximately a lattitude of 43.6 deg.

To get that proper value in the camera parameter you have to subtract that from 90 and use the negative value, in this case -46.4

I guess one would have to script with python to change the months menu item and date to get a full year round animation.
Edited by BabaJ - May 22, 2020 20:59:45
8554 posts
BabaJ
I guess one would have to script with python to change the months menu item and date to get a full year round animation.
you can use Day Of The Year slider, it's float
I mean I have no idea how accurate this is
Edited by tamte - May 22, 2020 21:45:46
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
2040 posts
you can use Day Of The Year slider, it's float
I mean I have no idea how accurate this is

Yeah, that's a good idea. Will have to test that out.
2040 posts
For time of day it seems a bit off by 10 minutes. Also with the parameter for fractional day set to zero gives a ‘high noon’ result.

So looking at the soltices positions one day before and after seems to make day of the year at 1(the parm starts at zero) being January 1 starting with sun at Nadir.
Edited by BabaJ - May 23, 2020 18:13:24
2040 posts
So I forgot to consider differences between apparent and mean time. So for the one date I checked this shaved off about 3 minutes to make the difference that was expected of 7 minutes instead of 10.
  • Quick Links