How do you specify the image file path to render to?

4168   7   1
4 posts
I'm trying to render images out of Solaris, but I haven't found an obvious way to set the file path.

This is the parameter interface of the USD Render ROP

My current workaround is to add a spare file parameter and channel referencing it to the Override Output Image parameter.

I definitely feel like I'm missing something.
Edited by austinb - June 16, 2020 22:15:03

Attachments:
Capture2.PNG (61.1 KB)
Capture.PNG (55.9 KB)

7815 posts
Use of a render product with a render settings node is the ‘official’ way, but using the override output image works too. However as these are low level nodes they're a bit non-user friendly. Proper output nodes like the Karma lop should wrap up render products and settings in a more usable way. It's up to your renderer of choice's vendor to supply such a node.
8599 posts
the render products shoud be defined in the LOP network and therefore already be part of USD you are trying to render
I'm not sure about what nodes Redshift comes with, but you can have a look inside of Karma LOP on how Render Product, Render Settings, Render Var LOPs are used and assembled together
idealy you would have Redshift LOP that sets it for you, but I can't check if they built one already

EDIT: too late to the party, what jsmack said
Edited by tamte - June 17, 2020 01:49:06
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
4450 posts
austinb
I haven't found an obvious way to set the file path.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I'm totally confused by what you're doing here. Why is the answer to your question not “put the file name in the Override Output Image parameter”? Why do you need to create a channel reference to a spare parameter called “My Output Image”? How is that any different, other than introducing an unnecessary level of indirection?
4 posts
Thanks so much for the responses!

Use of a render product with a render settings node is the ‘official’ way

Do you know where that image file path parm is in the render product LOP?

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but I'm totally confused by what you're doing here. Why is the answer to your question not “put the file name in the Override Output Image parameter”? Why do you need to create a channel reference to a spare parameter called “My Output Image”? How is that any different, other than introducing an unnecessary level of indirection?

I was confused why the Override Output Image parameter was a string parm and not a file parm like it is in other ROPs (also the Output Picture parm in the Karma LOP). I added the file parm for convenience.

The Override in the name of the parm implied that there was some other way it could be set. I'm trying to figure out what that other way is.

Attachments:
renderproduct.PNG (43.9 KB)

4 posts
So diving into the Karma LOP it looks like you set the image file path on the Product Name parm of the renderproduct LOP. For those interested in the final node setup.

Note you also have to set the Products parm of the rendersettings LOP.

Hopefully there'll be a Redshift LOP at some point.

I appreciate the help!

Attachments:
renderproduct2.PNG (70.5 KB)

7815 posts
mtucker

I think the problem was the parameters for setting the image outputs are unflavored string parms, rather than “Image File” parms, so they don't have the file browser widget. Is that something we could add to these nodes easily? (render product, usdrender)
Staff
4450 posts
austinb
I was confused why the Override Output Image parameter was a string parm and not a file parm like it is in other ROPs

Ah! Thank you for clarifying. That's just an oversight on our part.
  • Quick Links