RFE Sort columns in Details View Pane

7744   10   2
387 posts
Hey SESI,

RFE: It'd be useful to be able to sort by various columns in the Details View Pane.

ie. The usual GUI behaviour: you click on a column header and all the rows are sorted by that column. Clicking on the Point Number column would reset the sorted order to the usual numeric sequence.

cheers,
ben.
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
Staff
1256 posts
ben simons
ie. The usual GUI behaviour: you click on a column header and all the rows are sorted by that column. Clicking on the Point Number column would reset the sorted order to the usual numeric sequence.

Hi Ben,

That's a great idea.

But instead of LMB-clicking on the column header to sort, how about the user RMB-clicks the header and a menu pops-up with a list of options for sorting (i.e. “Sort Ascending”, “Sort Descending”, etc.)? At least that way, the functionality for selecting all the entries in a column is preserved.

Cheers,
Rob V.
1192 posts
I think the general accepted UI habit is to have it sort in one way when clicked (for example ascendent) and then reverse the order when clicked again (to descendent). Maybe double-click for selecting the column?
I think it comes down to which would be the most used action: to select or to sort?

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
387 posts
Oh.. Yes. ops: But I was using Houdini 8.1 ;-) Coool.

btw: what's the use in selecting a column?
Can anything be done with the selection?
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
1192 posts
My reply was actually to rvinluan :twisted:
I mean I found the suggested method (rt-click) a little convoluted…
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
1631 posts
I guess we can add to these RFEs [sidefx.com].

Cheers!
steven
387 posts
My reply was to rvinluan too, though this one is to you ;-)
Staff
1256 posts
digitallysane
I think the general accepted UI habit is to have it sort in one way when clicked (for example ascendent) and then reverse the order when clicked again (to descendent). Maybe double-click for selecting the column?

Yeah, a few other people I've talked with also like having to just click the column header to sort as opposed to using a RMB menu. I'll update the RFE to note this.

digitallysane
I think it comes down to which would be the most used action: to select or to sort?
Dragos

I don't have an answer for this. But this thread suggests that sorting seems to be the more popular choice

–Rob
Staff
1256 posts
ben simons
Oh.. Yes. ops: But I was using Houdini 8.1 ;-) Coool.

btw: what's the use in selecting a column?
Can anything be done with the selection?

Honestly, I'm not sure how useful it is for selecting a column in the Details View. My only idea is when you want to quickly reset the values of a point/prim/vertex attribute. So in that case, you would select the column, change the value in the floating input field and presto, all the values in the attribute column are updated.

– Rob
Staff
4441 posts
I would tend to think that sorting is a far more common operation than selecting for columns. In some cases, such as the DOP Details View, the whole idea of selecting a column doesn't make any sense because you can't do anything with the selection once it's made. So I would think having “select column” under the RMB menu (or maybe even using double-click if that eliminates the RMB menu completely) and sorting with the LMB would be more useful.

Mark
7025 posts
I agree, once Attribute CReate came along, it's been much easier to reset attributes procedurally (i.e. correctly) rather than selecting a column in the spreadsheet and then pow, your SOP is locked. I can't remember the last time I had to lock a SOP except to prevent cooking.

The exception is in the Edit Capture Weights spreadsheet, I select columns all the time in that, and not sure how useful sorting is in there generally, though it certainly might be.

Cehers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links